• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bummer - went to the Apple shop after lunch ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I used to resent having to use a tulipty corporate laptop until they issued me with a Thinkpad X series. I reckon they'd survive a drop off a cliff - excellent build quality... and the keyboards are the best of all IMO.
    I'm thinking about getting a Lenovo next - although that's mainly due to the fact they do quad core with 16gb Ram and onsite support.
    But most of the reviewer seem to rate the keyboards
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      I'm thinking about getting a Lenovo next - although that's mainly due to the fact they do quad core with 16gb Ram and onsite support.
      They do seem to produce the only laptops that have 4 dimm slots.

I really don't understand why more companies don't provide the option on their business laptops while most people won't want 16gb of ram those that do will happily pay for it.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        You're comparing apples and oranges.

The MacAir should be compared more to crappy netbooks in size. But the performance of the MacAir is infinitely better than a netbook, more like a lighly specced real laptop.
        Looks like the Lenovo would make a good desktop replacement with a big screen.

S the answer is to get both and you have the best of two worlds.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          You're comparing apples and oranges.

The MacAir should be compared more to crappy netbooks in size. But the performance of the MacAir is infinitely better than a netbook, more like a lighly specced real laptop.
          Looks like the Lenovo would make a good desktop replacement with a big screen.

S the answer is to get both and you have the best of two worlds.
          I wasn't comparing, I was just commenting on RH's observation about lenovo's

I agree about getting both though, the development laptop does feel like overkill sometimes, especially for those times in between development when doing requirement gathering and the like and I just need ms office with visio
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Just bought a dog basic Lenovo for 300 quid after my Dell D600 packed in after 7 years. Got a £5/month 3G modem too which seems to do the job ! Stuck on PC's all day, can't face it outside work as well !

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              They do seem to produce the only laptops that have 4 dimm slots.

I really don't understand why more companies don't provide the option on their business laptops while most people won't want 16gb of ram those that do will happily pay for it.
              Because most people don't need 16 gig of ram, unless you're doing 3d modelling or running lots of virtual machines at once it's overkill, and it would mean a more expensive motherboard for little kudos
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                Because most people don't need 16 gig of ram, unless you're doing 3d modelling or running lots of virtual machines at once it's overkill, and it would mean a more expensive motherboard for little kudos
                Some poor developers like to have as much RAM as possible, then they don't have to worry about thinking too much about memory management.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  Some poor developers like to have as much RAM as possible, then they don't have to worry about thinking too much about memory management.
                  Memory management? Pah, .NET manages it for me!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Memory management? Pah, .NET manages it for me!
                    Do your business investors know you're wasting time on here? Get back in the server room and do some more ineffective programming, now!
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

+1 for Lenovo Thinkpads. The T series and X series are built like tanks, good keyboards, designed to be opened for upgrading and you can order spares for them long after the warranty expires.

I think some of the top end HP EliteBooks have 4 dimm slots as well.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X