• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"How recruiters are posing a threat to LinkedIn..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"How recruiters are posing a threat to LinkedIn..."

"...even though they don’t mean to". Interesting examination of how and why recruiters dilute the network effects that should make LinkedIn useful.

Every agent who attempts to link up with me (just because they've seen my cv online) gets treated the same. I report them as spam on linkedin. Hopefully if enough of us do the same, he or she (the agent) will have their account closed.. Mwuhaha!

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
      Every agent who attempts to link up with me (just because they've seen my cv online) gets treated the same. I report them as spam on linkedin. Hopefully if enough of us do the same, he or she (the agent) will have their account closed.. Mwuhaha!
      +1.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        +1.
        +2

I just won't connect to agents unless I have specifically spent time working with them. It dilutes the process.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'd never thought of reporting them as spam, good idea, I'll do that in future. I currently just refuse their requests.

I agree with the initial point and article Nick, it's the driving reason I don't use LinkedIn much.

Comment

So why do you post details of yourself if you don't want people to read them and contact you?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              So why do you post details of yourself if you don't want people to read them and contact you?
              For the majority of us, we use Linkedin to keep in touch with people we use to work with. It's a shame that agents feel that it is ok to willy nilly add people as contacts without any prior engagement.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I got this gig because of my LI profile, and know many others who have found work through it... but always directly from the recruiter, never through an agent. If I was on the market though, I wouldn't mind if an agent found me through it - why not? Just make sure your connections are hidden.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  For the majority of us, we use Linkedin to keep in touch with people we use to work with. It's a shame that agents feel that it is ok to willy nilly add people as contacts without any prior engagement.
                  Exactly. If a recruiter wants to contact me through LinkedIn they may do so, but to then attempt to add me as a contact for no other reason than that they sent me an unsolicited message about a position that wasn't suitable is to abuse the system.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    I got this gig because of my LI profile, and know many others who have found work through it... but always directly from the recruiter, never through an agent. If I was on the market though, I wouldn't mind if an agent found me through it - why not? Just make sure your connections are hidden.
                    Nobody's suggesting that agents shouldn't be able to contact people through LinkedIn, just that they shouldn't go on to abuse it in a way that dilutes the value of the network.

Comment

Working...
                    X