• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Girls and computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT wasn't on the curriculum at my girls' Grammar School, where we were all encouraged to become secretaries.

I did a Software Engineering HND on day release at college. Was one of two girls in a class of about 30. I guess I just thought times had changed.

Comment

As 0.9 repeating is equal to 1, it follows that 8.9 repeating is equal to 9.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Actually, it's 8.9%. That's what OVER 91% means.
        Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        As 0.9 repeating is equal to 1, it follows that 8.9 repeating is equal to 9.
        Which is correct Nick. But as the first quote said 8.9%, then K2p2 was wrong and you are a Daily Mail reporter for changing the original quote.

MF in 'Nick Fitz pedant' Mode.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Which is correct Nick. But as the first quote said 8.9%, then K2p2 was wrong and you are a Daily Mail reporter for changing the original quote.

MF in 'Nick Fitz pedant' Mode.
          Actually, I was responding to you:

I think you'll find it's 8.99 recurring. But don't worry I know women don't worry about those last few pennies...

Comment

I can't +ve rep you for this - apparently I have to spread it about a bit. Anyone want some?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              IT wasn't on the curriculum at my girls' Grammar School, where we were all encouraged to become secretaries.

I did a Software Engineering HND on day release at college. Was one of two girls in a class of about 30. I guess I just thought times had changed.
              The figures have actually got worse since 2000.

However personally I wouldn't look at the number of A levels taken in any subject to see the level of interest as you don't need an A level in Computer Science to get on to a Computer Science degree.

Good schools and colleges, who have an idea of what A level subjects help their pupils get on to degree courses, tend to steer pupils into doing the broadest and more traditional subjects. Also lots of schools find that while it's difficult getting good Maths teachers it's more difficult getting a decent Computer Science teacher.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What do you do in A-level computing/IT? My school only offered traditional subjects so I always viewed it as a bit of a fob-off for those who would be using computers in regular jobs, not those writing software etc. Is that true?
                Certainly my university had no interest at all in whether people doing CS had a IT-related A-level, in fact none of the universities I applied for did. Which makes me think I am right?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well as you said. I was correct.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    What do you do in A-level computing/IT? My school only offered traditional subjects so I always viewed it as a bit of a fob-off for those who would be using computers in regular jobs, not those writing software etc. Is that true?
                    Certainly my university had no interest at all in whether people doing CS had a IT-related A-level, in fact none of the universities I applied for did. Which makes me think I am right?
                    I remember looking at the A level study book after doing my GCSE. It was just more of the same at a higher level. A bit of programming in Basic and learning about computer systems.

The GCSE was p*ss easy. I had to design a database and fill it with data as the project. Then the exam involved drawing lots of flow diagrams.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I appreciate that in 1887 you may have struggled Cliphead.
                      Yes, we did the Analytical Engine course back then. I think all the oily rags and steam put off a lot of women.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X