• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Girls and computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would girls bother to study to work in IT and end up working hard as an IT consultant when instead they can marry and divorce one and end up with all his money?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

FFS. We seem to do this every year. And every year I do the same rant.

Once upon a time this industry was called Data Processing. Back then, there were not just female mathematics and physics and engineering graduates joining the industry - especially because of the skills being used in WWII - but also a lot of women coming in through the secretarial --> keypunch operator --> business analyst route.

The industry used to be very well balanced by gender.

Then the media realised computers existed and started portraying it in films and articles as a geeky, nerdy, male dominated industry. And so girls and women were put off.

There are plenty of female logisticians - FFS, the first programmer was a woman.

It is all down to the media putting girls and women off. That is the reality.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        FFS. We seem to do this every year. And every year I do the same rant.

Once upon a time this industry was called Data Processing. Back then, there were not just female mathematics and physics and engineering graduates joining the industry - especially because of the skills being used in WWII - but also a lot of women coming in through the secretarial --> keypunch operator - analyst route.

The industry used to be very well balanced by gender.

Then the media realised computers existed and started portraying it in films and articles as a geeky, nerdy, male dominated industry. And so girls and women were put off.

There are plenty of female logisticians - FFS, the first programmer was a woman.

It is all down to the media putting girls and women off. That is the reality.
        It aint media mate. It's weirdos like you.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

BTW:Interesting that the girl's bust size is on her sweater
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

BTW:Interesting that the girl's bust size is on her sweater
            I'm going to regret this.

I think you'll find that's her IQ!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I'm going to regret this.

I think you'll find that's her IQ!
              LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Is this her?

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Left school in 1976, no computers around then. By '87 was doing rather well in IT
                  And in came the Commodore Pet in 1977, what a difference a year makes

Anyone remember Hunt the Wumpus ?
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    And in came the Commodore Pet in 1977, what a difference a year makes

Anyone remember Hunt the Wumpus ?
                    I thought that was a mainframe game?
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post

I thought that was a mainframe game?
                      I thought it was Wilmslow's dating technique
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here