• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This should raise the blood pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with atW and Gillsman although as to the crime being serious enough, it is not simply the accident which might happen to anyone but the fact that he ran off leaving her to die. He was also banned at the time and has a previous history of crime.

He is not a citizen, his contribution to the UK appears to have been entirely negative and will probably remain so and his presence here is therefore not conducive to the public good. That should be all that matters, we do not have a duty to protect every citizen of the world from their own government or to provide free care for them and their their families.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Putting the deportation issue aside for a moment, 4 months for killing a child is probably less time than you'd get for stealing.
      It always seems very odd though the way these things work. Every single one of us has lost concentration driving at times, I'm certain. We've probably all had near misses where you have no time to think or react, and have passed a hairs-breadth from an accident.
      The fact a child is standing there at the wrong moment, does one momentary slip justify several years' incarceration? What does this achieve - you don't need to rehabilitated because to err is human.

Talking generalities here, not about this guy in particular. I find it hard to see why any accidental crime should really have punishment attached unless we agree it's simply for revenge. You're really punishing someone for foolishness or lack of thought, trying to place blame to make victims feel better.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You're really punishing someone for foolishness or lack of thought
        Agree with initial comments but as I said, having sufferd from this "foolishness/lack of thought" (in addition to the criminal act of driving while banned) he ran off leaving a young girl to die.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          It always seems very odd though the way these things work. Every single one of us has lost concentration driving at times, I'm certain. We've probably all had near misses where you have no time to think or react, and have passed a hairs-breadth from an accident.
          The fact a child is standing there at the wrong moment, does one momentary slip justify several years' incarceration? What does this achieve - you don't need to rehabilitated because to err is human.

Talking generalities here, not about this guy in particular. I find it hard to see why any accidental crime should really have punishment attached unless we agree it's simply for revenge. You're really punishing someone for foolishness or lack of thought, trying to place blame to make victims feel better.
          I haven't come close to killing anyone and certainly not pedestrians. The car is under your control and if you kill a child you should expect to be locked up for a long time IMO, except in exceptional circumstances. That includes when a child jumps out between cars, which should be expected. It doesn't need huge concentration, just less speed. I would say several years incarceration for killing a child is not enough.

Regarding what does jail achieve in this case. What does incarceration ever achieve. It's a punishment a deterrent, it takes people out of society and it is justice for the victim.

Comment

I haven't come close to killing anyone and certainly not pedestrians. The car is under your control and if you kill a child you should expect to be locked up for a long time IMO, except in exceptional circumstances. That includes when a child jumps out between cars, which should be expected. It doesn't need huge concentration, just less speed. I would say several years incarceration for killing a child is not enough.
            How fast do you drive past parked cars? 10mph could kill a child if you don't see them.

Why is a child a special case? Is an adult worth less? What if the adult is an illegal immigrant?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The car is under your control and if you kill a child you should expect to be locked up for a long time IMO, except in exceptional circumstances. That includes when a child jumps out between cars, which should be expected. It doesn't need huge concentration, just less speed. I would say several years incarceration for killing a child is not enough.
              And what about the parents? How many years should they get for neglect resulting in the child's death?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                How fast do you drive past parked cars? 10mph could kill a child if you don't see them.

Why is a child a special case? Is an adult worth less? What if the adult is an illegal immigrant?
                I drive as slow as I need to. Parked cars are always a slow down signal. To hit and kill someone at 20mph would require criminal inattention. No an adult is not worth less, neither is an immigrant legal or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  And what about the parents? How many years should they get for neglect resulting in the child's death?
                  Whose parents and what have they done?

Comment

The car is under your control and if you kill a child you should expect to be locked up for a long time IMO, except in exceptional circumstances. That includes when a child jumps out between cars, which should be expected. It doesn't need huge concentration, just less speed. I would say several years incarceration for killing a child is not enough.
                    Whose parents and what have they done?
                    The parents who left their child to run out in the street.

if you kill a child you should expect to be locked up for a long time
                    Including the negligent parents?
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The parents who left their child to run out in the street.

Including the negligent parents?
                      No, they have received punishment enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X