• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Also discovering that SAP is a bag of tulipe.
    And therefore a gravy train for you to keep earning €600 a day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      It's all relevant I suppose. The guy in the big office at ClientCo is on a bit more than £3M a year and probably enjoys the thought of what his 'golden goodbye' would be. It should be enough to get himself a carriage clock I would think.
      Yeah but what about the guy who started contracting then his own business and is now a multimillionaire?

Comment

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
        I've just had my first 360, a little bit of me has just died .
        Whats a 360?

A kind of performance review or something, right?

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
          Yeah but what about the guy who started contracting then his own business and is now a multimillionaire?
          Eh? I don't understand what point are you trying to make? You implied it wasn't possible to enjoy being a permie. I've just stated that some do very well out of it. I didn't say you couldn't have success as a contractor, did I?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Whats a 360?

A kind of performance review or something, right?
            Yep. It´s where your colleagues, your subordinates and your managers all take part in reviewing your ´performance´, whether they know one iota about what you do or not, so that HR can be assured of finding something negative (usually something vague to do with 'emotional intelligence') so they can deny you a pay rise, or at best give you a derisory pay rise and send you away feeling utterly disillusioned in the hope they can grind more work out of you and get you to do more unpaid overtime while smiling at everybody. Of course, smiling at everybody will be so much mroe difficult because you know what the little tulipheads have said about you, but you don't know which one said what. So it's a recipe for political intrigue and a breakdown of any kind of cooperation in the workplace. It is possibly the worst idea ever to come from the addled brains of HR 'professionals', and should you ever find yourself running a company or a large department, you must either abolish this practice or sabotage it to the point of making it impossible to execute (which is quite easy and only costs a few pints).

I went through it a couple of times, but on one occasion was fortunate enough, as a sys admin, to have detailed knowledge of the IT Director's web surfing history.
            Last edited by Mich the Tester; 18 November 2010, 13:03.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

On reflection, I've only had 'sensible' reviews involving my line-manager and PM; a chance to have a serious chat about areas I'd like to develop, etc. I don't see them as greatly beneficial but a long way from that 360 stuff... I'll modify my position to "being a permie is fine if you enjoy the work and work for a decent company".
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Eh? I don't understand what point are you trying to make? You implied it wasn't possible to enjoy being a permie. I've just stated that some do very well out of it. I didn't say you couldn't have success as a contractor, did I?
                My point was lets compare apples to apples, the permies that post here are code monkeys, that aren't good enough to contract, lucky if they are on 30k a year

Comment

1-2-1
                  PDP
                  OGSP

FFS

Escaped the hell back in June.
                  Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
                    1-2-1
                    PDP
                    OGSP

FFS

Escaped the hell back in June.
                    Did you have a BILA before you left? How about a F2F?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

the benefit or otherwise of apprasials purely depends on the goals behind doing them

some managers will use them as Mich says to belittle staff and make sure they know their place to ensure that managers little teeny bit of power is kept.

some managers will actually use it as d000hg says to work towards postive goals for all and to ensure that you have the support to achieve your goals and make the company a better place to work.

but at the end of the day it's up to you if you work for a tulip company with crap managers go get another job - no point in using your talents to make the cupid stunts look good.

Comment

Working...
                      X