• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
    If someone would be kind enough to copy and paste the below text into their post, I can then edit this post to read "So, how is the market at the moment".

I will then forget about this thread, check back later, and feel slightly better about things when I read it back

The contract market is tulip.
    Rates have dropped through the floor - we're all working for £45 pd
    All our contractors are being let go the day before Christmas
    My war chest has been depleted, I now work in McDonalds at the weekend.
    Our contractors on site have to make the tea and wash the permies cars at lunch time.
    Sorry SR you will feel better once you have been to the Christmas party. I on the other hand will have to spend the next month at the beach

Unpaid HTH
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Curse of the ex-contractor I fear. Once you have been in the game it's very hard to go back to the perm world without the comfort of an end date to get past the frustrations - In a cruel twist of fate the frustrations are also multiplied in such a role due to performance reviews etc.
      Skill up and start looking...

Comment

I did it.....I went permie back in June.....decent salary, decent job, decent benefits, but I can't stand it anymore!!!

I've just had my first 360, a little bit of me has just died

I feel trapped - like I've got married, and there's no more sex on the cards, and she's got fat.

Bummer.
        360.... yueeerggh

my skin is crawling, the hairs on the back of my neck are standing on end. This is why I became a contractor, to escape this slow painful decline into a festering porridge of steaming brain cells, lying in a puddle on my permie managers office floor

good luck in getting out

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Are you still in a probabation period with a short notice period?

Market is looking OK for my niche (App deployment/packaging/sequencing for Windows 7 rollouts).
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I did it.....I went permie back in June.....decent salary, decent job, decent benefits, but I can't stand it anymore!!!

I've just had my first 360, a little bit of me has just died

I feel trapped - like I've got married, and there's no more sex on the cards, and she's got fat.

Bummer.
            I'm interested, what exactly is sucky about the job? A annual review is hardly an everyday thing so what else? Also, I can't say I ever found reviews a big deal... pick a few areas you'd like to suggest would be good to work on, blag about how great you are, etc. Maybe I got lucky...
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I'm interested, what exactly is sucky about the job? A annual review is hardly an everyday thing so what else? Also, I can't say I ever found reviews a big deal... pick a few areas you'd like to suggest would be good to work on, blag about how great you are, etc. Maybe I got lucky...
              Well lucky is not I would describe someone who enjoys being a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                Who said anything about enjoy? And you think it's lucky to be miserable?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Who said anything about enjoy? And you think it's lucky to be miserable?
                  If you are miserable become a contractor, where your misery only last 3-18 months and you get the odd good role.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                    It's all relevant I suppose. The guy in the big office at ClientCo is on a bit more than £3M a year and probably enjoys the thought of what his 'golden goodbye' would be. It should be enough to get himself a carriage clock I would think.

Comment

Miserable contract spaced with months of misery stuck at home unable to find work

A good permie job can be great... but I suspect only if it's work you genuinely enjoy. Since I'm first and foremost a coder, the project I'm working on is normally the bigger factor to my satisfaction rather than corporate crap I zone out of.

But I genuinely enjoy creating code, I even do it in my spare time on hobby projects still, if you view work as something just to get money then that's a lifetime of drudgery whichever route you take.

Comment

Working...
                      X