• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking news - iranian justice system won't stone female for adultary...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

b)Is it a sign of a more civilised, or more screwed up, society that adultery is now considered nothing serious and the idea of capital punishment for it strikes many as repulsive?
    I trust you are not seriously suggesting that opposition to capital punishment for adultery is "screwed up".

Adultery is not always harming anyone, if the marriage has already broken down and the other partner doesn't care perhaps. In any case it is a private matter and the law should have no say in it except via the divorce courts.

The specific problem with Islam in this area is the inflexibility of punishment for certain "crimes" and the idiotic basis for them. Laws and sentencing should be based on rational assessement of the circumstances of the case, the impact on others and how best to prevent repeat by the same offender and discourage others from doing the same thing.

Another lunacy of Islam in criminal law is the involvement of victim's relatives in sentencing as there is not going to be any impartiality.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

At least their justice system works:

Reporters in Iran have been banned from reporting on the case. One of her lawyers, Mohammed Mostafaei, had to go into hiding in the country on July 26, 2010. His wife and brother-in-law were arrested...The house of Ashtiani's lawyer Houtan Kian was ransacked by plain-clothes officials, and his documents, including one which shows that Sakineh was acquitted of her husband's murder, were confiscated. Since then, they have been unable to find a copy of the sentence.
      Harsh but unfair.

Is it due to happen today?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Which part specifically? Capital punishment of any form? The death penalty? The ways they carry out the killing? Or the crimes they apply it to?

Moral question of the day...

a)Should issues relating to relationships, i.e incest and adultery, have anything to do with the legal system?

b)Is it a sign of a more civilised, or more screwed up, society that adultery is now considered nothing serious and the idea of capital punishment for it strikes many as repulsive?
        Humanity has moved on from biblical times (well some have), adultery while married is grounds for Divorce and thats all the law should say on the matter.

To suggest otherwise paints you as a religiopath, the likes of helped stagnate humanities progress for thousands of years.
        Last edited by kandr; 3 November 2010, 09:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Are you completely mad?
          Care to make a reasoned response? I'm not arguing either way btw... and I'm not asking if capital punishment is right. But rather if punishment for adultery is a more repulsive idea to people than adultery itself, is that the right way round?

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          I trust you are not seriously suggesting that opposition to capital punishment for adultery is "screwed up".
          No, see above.

Originally posted by kandr View Post
          Humanity has moved on from biblical times (well some have), adultery while married is grounds for Divorce and thats all the law should say on the matter.

To suggest otherwise paints you as a religiopath, the likes of helped stagnate humanities progress for thousands of years.
          So you're saying that taking everything less seriously is better?
          Last edited by d000hg; 3 November 2010, 09:56.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Care to make a reasoned response? I'm not arguing either way btw... and I'm not asking if capital punishment is right. But rather if punishment for adultery is a more repulsive idea to people than adultery itself, is that the right way round?
            Are you completely mad?

Comment

Punishment for adultery is between the two people, i.e. requesting a divorce. Are you insane?

Comment

No, you are asking if capital punishment for adultery is more repulsive than adultery itself.

Comment

Unless I have misunderstood them OG makes a perfectly sensible response to your comments in my view.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Punishment by way of STONING SOMEONE TO DEATH for adultery (the original sentence) is a much more repulsive idea than the act of adultery itself.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Unless I have misunderstood them OG makes a perfectly sensible response to your comments in my view.
                      Nice to agree for once.

Comment

Working...
                      X