• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the fastest you've driven on a UK motorway?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

I suspect a lot of these records were set some time ago. Before speed cameras became so common. I wouldn't risk it today. Or indeed bother with owning a monster car.
    Aren't tyres the limiting factor? I thought the tyres on most cars, apart from sports cars obviously, are rated only up to about 130 MPH.

Frankly, the last thing you need (and probably the last thing you'd hear) is an offside blow out doing 150 on the outside lane on a left bend.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      After doing a few test runs with a friend on motorways without traffic I came to the conclusion that the maximum speed for a UK motorway would be around 140 mph. The reason being that UK motorways are not very straight and what are quite gentle bends at 70mph become rather sharp at 130+. The straight bits on a UK motorway are too short and would only give you about a minute to drive above that speed.
      Tosh. The M1 is pretty straight as is the M5 (I think, the pretty bit), even assuming you are right about the bends... which I think is not the case. 140+ in a Focus, etc, maybe... they are not built for it... but any fast car considers 140 pretty average.

Anyway... on a motorway barely over 100. But 130 on an A road, when we test-drove an RX8. Then it started to smell a bit hot so we slowed down since we didn't want to have to buy it.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Oh so you're playing the "it was a joke" card?
        Not many will believe you.
        Hey dickhead, have a look at my response to MP at 12:57.

You really should put your hatred of successful people behind you and start using that destructive energy for a more beneficial purpose, like getting a job!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Tosh. The M1 is pretty straight as is the M5 (I think, the pretty bit), even assuming you are right about the bends... which I think is not the case. 140+ in a Focus, etc, maybe... they are not built for it... but any fast car considers 140 pretty average.

Anyway... on a motorway barely over 100. But 130 on an A road, when we test-drove an RX8. Then it started to smell a bit hot so we slowed down since we didn't want to have to buy it.

Google Maps

Parts of the M1 are straight, just look at the London end. Some motorway bends won’t even support 30mph!

Pathetic Motorways
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Aren't tyres the limiting factor? I thought the tyres on most cars, apart from sports cars obviously, are rated only up to about 130 MPH.

Frankly, the last thing you need (and probably the last thing you'd hear) is an offside blow out doing 150 on the outside lane on a left bend.
            My winter tyres are rated only up to 100mph (not surprisingly being constructed for cold). However, the speed rating means sustained speed. It doesn't matter if you ocassionally exceed that.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I had 'W' (168mph) rated tyres on my Type-R, it failed its last MoT due to a lobing effect caused by delamination.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The problem with a "normal" car is the lack of extra down force at speed.
                When you get above 120mph every little bump makes the steering feel a bit lighter than it should do.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Oh also, I live in a county which has no fixed speed-cameras. No way I'd go burning about on a road I wasn't very familiar with, not knowing which junctions people jump out from like loons.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Oh also, I live in a county which has no fixed speed-cameras. No way I'd go burning about on a road I wasn't very familiar with, not knowing which junctions people jump out from like loons.
                    I work in a county with no fixed speed cameras...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      When you get above 120mph every little bump makes the steering feel a bit lighter than it should do.
                      Max i've had my GSX-R up to is 160 on an A road (never taken it on a motorway and wouldnt risk that sort of speed there anyway as too visible). Was rock solid stable but still scary as hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X