• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most Obscure Countries you have visited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Channel Islands, Macau.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've been to Denmark a few times by choice, quite enjoyed it lthough that hyped up mermaid thing is a crock of sh!t IMO.

I've been to Laos 3 times, the first was the best as it was early 2000's before it became a tourist hotspot and full of those who just sit and eat "happy" pizza all day watching Friends re-runs.

China or Indonesia would be the most obscure places I'd say I've been. China because of the huge cultural differences in what is socially acceptable, especially in the small rural villages (e.g blowing nose in a tissue v directly on the train floor, personal space, attitude towards westerners and how much money they have).

Indonesia was also v interesting, as you head east from Bali through the islands of Lombok, Flores, Komodo and Timor then things start getting very basic and very "other-worldly".
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        Indonesia was also v interesting, as you head east from Bali through the islands of Lombok, Flores, Komodo and Timor then things start getting very basic and very "other-worldly".
        Didnt really think of Indonesia, probably because it's one of the languages I can speak and spent so much time there.

Nobody been to Iraq/Iran?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Inner Mongolia
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Hey threaded!

I went to Copenhagen a few years ago - I asked you about it.

Even ate in the delightful little restaurant The Grønnegade

Most obscure country.... well island I guess: Rottnest Island, off Perth, Australia. It was great taking the Piper Seminole [Woooah! This is the actual plane that I hired from Jandakot - coool!] over the sea, buzzing around the island at 500 feet then landing, shutting down the a/c and then being greated by these quokkors.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Didnt really think of Indonesia, probably because it's one of the languages I can speak and spent so much time there.

Nobody been to Iraq/Iran?
              Both. I refuse to say which country has the best cake and ice-cream.

Baghdad is my fav. town in the area but that's only 'cause I know my way round nearly as well as Doncaster.

A bus ride from Baghdad into Jordan, or the other direction, has to be up there with best trips in the world. Wonderful people you meet.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I have been to Baltrum island
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Easter Island, French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Lesotho, Malawi, Lebanon, Isle of Man
                  Been to French Polynesia and Cook Islands so not obscure.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Senegal. Lovely beaches, great people & excellent food. Some interesting sights too - there's Le lac Rose which is a huge lake coloured pink by the algae that live there and Ile de Goree which was the last bit of Africa the slaves saw before they left to go to America. Quite sobering, really.

Also went to Guatemala, not so obscure now but was back then as it was at the tail end of the troubles.

Comment

England - lots of strange people there
                      Zululand
                      Israel - quite strange
                      USA - very strange but likeable
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X