• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Volcanic Ash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you see one with air holes and a slot for pushing out used tissues, it's mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      It's still strange to see a totally blue sky unsullied by contrails from high altitude aircraft.

Yeah, also no sign of any volcano ash cloud either.

I think it was a govermin conspiracy to detract attention from the 3 party leaders on the box last night, otherwise the hype and build-up would have been immense and they'd have bottled it. To avoid the sheeple from twigging, they've kept it going until tomorrow.

My subscription to 'Tinfoil Hat Weekly' is fully paid up.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

An interesting point is that euro tunnel got deep fried for not having a train that could deal with the worst weather conditions it had ever faced but nobody has mentioned jet engines not being able to deal with dust.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          but nobody has mentioned jet engines not being able to deal with dust.
          That's probably because it isn't the kind of thing that crops up in day-to-day conversation, really.

If you're interested, the reconstruction of the BA flight that almost crashed due to volcanic dust is on Youtube (National Geographic). It's not dust, it's basically powdered glass (a hint in case you value the paintwork on your car).

Because I'm bored/boring, here's the Link. You get the gist in the first 20 seconds.
          Last edited by SizeZero; 16 April 2010, 18:21.
          Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
            That's probably because it isn't the kind of thing that crops up in day-to-day conversation, really.

If you're interested, the reconstruction of the BA flight that almost crashed due to volcanic dust is on Youtube (National Geographic). It's not dust, it's basically powdered glass (a hint in case you value the paintwork on your car).
            It's not meant to be an engineering point, more a reflection on how the press work.

But going to engineering now, and I think I know more about jet engines than just about anyone on this board, the situation should have been looked at.

Comment

It's not meant to be an engineering point, more a reflection on how the press work.

But going to engineering now, and I think I know more about jet engines than just about anyone on this board, the situation should have been looked at.
              Bird strike is more of an issue than dust damage statistically.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Are you Frank Whittle?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

really I just want to see the press head full on into an argument based on their limited knowledge.

Euro tunnel did not do anything wrong and were sitting ducks, the airline industry are far more powerful really is my point.

Comment

really I just want to see the press head full on into an argument based on their limited knowledge.

Euro tunnel did not do anything wrong and were sitting ducks, the airline industry are far more powerful really is my point.
                    You are right, I had News 24 on all day in the background and they couldn't get enough of it, they kept going back to Bristol airport where the reporter pointed out that the Easyjet planes had special covers on the engine air intakes to protect them from the killer dust... Would they be the same covers they always put on when a plane isn't going anywhere for a while?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I think the difference is that the airline industry are forced to compensate people, give them meals & hotels etc once people have to sit around an airport for more than a few hours, whereas eurotunnel left people stuck in a tunnel under the sea without power or working toilets for several hours and by all accounts didn't even talk to them to tell them what was being done to get them out

From an engineering standpoint they may not have done anything wrong but in all other senses they ****ed it up about as much as they possibly could.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X