• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maggie was right

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Charge over.

Subtle, but important difference.
    It's too subtle for him.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I don't know, he is from Holland.
      I live in Holland and I know quite a few Dutch investors. They tend to make Mrs Thatcher and Norman Tebbit look like reds.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        They’ll probably give people school vouchers to choose the school their children attend. They might privatize big chunks of the NHS and give people a choice as to how to insure themselves against healthcare costs. They might even try to cut down on social ‘benefits’ while cutting business regulation to encourage new job creation. An just possibly, they might re-examine the tax arrangements for small businesses, including one person businesses, so as to give those businesses a better chance of investing in growth.
        It sounds fine by me, why do you think I wont like it?

Comment

I live in Holland and I know quite a few Dutch investors. They tend to make Mrs Thatcher and Norman Tebbit look like reds.
          And? I said I don't know if he votes conservatives or their equivalent there.

Comment

It sounds fine by me, why do you think I wont like it?
            I refer you to your answer given just half an hour ago; ‘often choice is a very bad thing, especially when party that was offered a choice can't or won't see strategic implications of making new suddenly available choice’.
            Are you capable of seeing the strategic implications of the choices I have named?

Do you feel that other people, for instance people living in council houses on low incomes, are less capable of making choices for themselves?

Comment

Getting back on topic, I believe that those leather straps used for pulling down the windows on trains were commonly stolen and used as "strops" for people to sharpen their cutthroat razors on.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                Getting back on topic, I believe that those leather straps used for pulling down the windows on trains were commonly stolen and used as "strops" for people to sharpen their cutthroat razors on.
                I don't think so. I think they were used for unusual sexual practices involving squirrels and Soviet train door handles.

Comment

Do you feel that other people, for instance people living in council houses on low incomes, are less capable of making choices for themselves?
                  The choices you mention are not strategic (apart from schools maybe, but in reality people don't have much choice there even with vouchers) - getting into mortgage debt for 25-30 years is strategic choice that should not be taken lightly.

People who live on low incomes are less capable to deal with serious financial troubles - having huge debt is a BIG trouble just waiting to happen.

Comment

The choices you mention are not strategic (apart from schools maybe, but in reality people don't have much choice there even with vouchers) - getting into mortgage debt for 25-30 years is strategic choice that should not be taken lightly.
                    What? The choice of how to insure yourself against the myriad threats to your health and which risks to leave out is not 'strategic'? Getting ill for years is not something to be taken lightly.

Business taxation is pretty strategic too, especially given that small businesses are needed for creating jobs.

Anyway, do you feel that you, yourself, are capable of deciding whether to take on a mortgage?

Comment

People who live on low incomes are less capable to deal with serious financial troubles - having huge debt is a BIG trouble just waiting to happen.
                      You bigot. I find that remark deeply insulting because the good Lady Tester and I have lived on a low income, and you are suggesting that that made us less capable of taking financial decisions. It did not. My grandfather has spent most of his life living on a far below average income and has paid off his mortgage and saved money for himself. He too is perfectly capable of managing his limited finances without the need for the government to boss him around.

You have a very low opinion of poor people.

Comment

Working...
                      X