• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPad will fail...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPad will fail

This initial survey suggests it may.

Will be interesting to see if Apple have overstretched their reach - I think so.

Comment

the reason the iphone was so succesful was for the following reasons

1) Almost everyone had a mobile phone
      2) lots of people also had ipod's of some sort

so the iphone did the job of 2 things which everyone had and made them into 1 - thus it was easier to carry around

(i know other mp3 players and phones which do mp3 are also available but it seems apple got the marketing and the device spot on)

Also most people change their phone every 12-18 months and so a lot of people just got the Iphone cos they could.

However for the ipad - it is supposed to replace notebooks/laptops 2 problems here

1) Average Joe does not replace laptop every 12-18 months.
      2) Average Joe will normally use a windows based laptop for surfing the web and also working at home on MS office based products.

The ipad simply does not offer these options and so to buy it you would need to justify to yourself the need for a (not overly portable) item which does a bit of telly and allows you to surf (and no doubt many other things_ - however most people already have a device that allows them to do this.....

I would say epic fail but i think it will just be a bit of a fail really.

Comment

I'm going to buy one.

And I'm no Apple fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

However for the ipad - it is supposed to replace notebooks/laptops
          No, it isn't. It's a new class of device.

You'll be seeing Windows 7 based versions this year too.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

you quite evidently have more money than sense

although I believe it will retail around £350 and not 35p

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              No, it isn't. It's a new class of device.

You'll be seeing Windows 7 based versions this year too.
              a new class of device to provide a solution for a problem nobody has though surely?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                a new class of device to provide a solution for a problem nobody has though surely?
                Nobody needed an ipod 10 years ago, but it's on the inflation deciding shopping list now.

Personally, I can see where one would be useful but it's not an instant buy as the ipod touch was when it came out.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X