• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPad will fail...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    FTFY
    Another good point.

I've not paid for a download yet, not whilst CD's can be had for less.

On a similar point Microsoft are pushing their Xbox download service for games but still at the same retail price of a disk, the trouble is you can't trade a download when you've finished with it.

Downloads need to be half retail before I'll use them, though I can see the appeal of movies in place of renting.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      On a similar point Microsoft are pushing their Xbox download service for games but still at the same retail price of a disk, the trouble is you can't trade a download when you've finished with it.

Downloads need to be half retail before I'll use them, though I can see the appeal of movies in place of renting.
      I think that's the death knell for the Sony PSP "Go" as well - you have to buy the games direct from Sony, and they're often more expensive than their UMD counterparts.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        though I can see the appeal of movies in place of renting.
        I've been using the Playstation Store for some movie rentals.
        They're not cheap but do save a trip to blockbuster.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          ...says the man who rushed to denigrate the piece I quoted, rather than accepting that the piece he quoted might not be the final word on the subject

too
          Easy tiger.

I am sure the quote I used is not the final word, but it raises valid concerns over functionality.. to which your best response was to quote an article saying how shiny and pretty it looked.. and then claim it made a difference that one quote author was at the launch and another one wasnt. Of course you completely left out how this is remotely relevant to the lacking functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Also, Can you connect it to a) a projector or b) the network (not wifi) once IT bod has found some cables?
            http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

You can connect it to a projector using the video out via the dock connector.

Wired networking: nope. It might be possible for some third-party dock thingy to provide that, although I'm not sure the market for a device like this is going to be particularly interested in dicking about with Ethernet cables.

Comment

...which doesn't say anything that could be interpreted as supporting the OP's contention. All it says is that publishers are pissed off at what they perceive as Amazon forcing them to sell stuff for less than they think it's worth, and may choose to go with Apple if they think they'll get a better return on their investment.

The interpretation is that the publishers want to protect their profits by continuing to mug people off by charging more for digital content than their physical counterpart, despite the physical stuff having much higher production and delivery costs.

I was initially puzzled why hardback/paperback prices mattered in the ebook world but didn't realise it's all down to exploiting the profits on new titles. They initially release them in hardback only, so they can charge more (people thinking it's the hard cover that makes it more expensive ), and their greed means they want to try to do the same with ebooks.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                The interpretation is that the publishers want to protect their profits by continuing to mug people off by charging more for digital content than their physical counterpart, despite the physical stuff having much higher production and delivery costs.

The last time I bought an ebook from a publisher's web site it was $12 cheaper than the physical counterpart ($27.99 as against $39.99).

Comment

The last time I bought an ebook from a publisher's web site it was $12 cheaper than the physical counterpart ($27.99 as against $39.99).
                  Which book was that? Just saying you bough something from somewhere that was some price lower than the other somewhat higher price is hardly substantial evidence
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Which book was that? Just saying you bough something from somewhere that was some price lower than the other somewhat higher price is hardly substantial evidence
                    http://apress.com/book/view/1430224592

Comment

Christ Nick, it's even cheaper than $27.99 in print
                      http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPho...4635206&sr=8-1
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X