• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've taken the plunge..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    I have no idea what your talking about, I simply want to improve my language skills so that my gf can speak her home language around the house and I can enjoy her fantastic accent more often. She appreciates the gesture and thinks it will help in getting future work in Germany.

The fact she speaks at 100mph in Kolsch slang and doesn't understand that I dont actually get to choose my contract location given the current climate is irrelevant, I get brownie points for the effort and she's happy im showing some commitment.

From my point of view, I'm in Munich mon - fri and get to see gf chef at weekends, I figure I need a distraction from the copius amounts of beer im drinking with a fellow englishman each night and that 2hrs per night twice a week improving my language is far better than the "im enrolling in a gym and going on a diet" that he suggested.

win win all round
    Point taken. Apologies for implying you may have an ulterior motive.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I try out my German on the locals from time to time, but it ends up like a weird comedy sketch because they invariably reply in English.

Me (possibly played by John Cleese): Guten morgen!
      Shopkeeper (Michael Palin, I imagine): Good morning.
      Me: Ein Rosinenschnecke bitte.
      Shopkeeper: You vish to take zis out, or eat in zuh shop?
      Me: Ausnehmen bitte.
      Shopkeeper: Zat is vun euro fifty.
      Me: Danke schon.
      Shopkeeper: Sank you.
      Me: Auf wiedersehen!
      Shopkeeper: Yeah, alright mate, whatever.

Maybe I should try it in Germany one of these days, see how I get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Point taken. Apologies for implying you may have an ulterior motive.
        no your spot on in fact, brownie points can be traded in for great sex
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I have no idea what your talking about, I simply want to improve my language skills so that my gf can speak her home language around the house and I can enjoy her fantastic accent more often. She appreciates the gesture and thinks it will help in getting future work in Germany.

The fact she speaks at 100mph in Kolsch slang and doesn't understand that I dont actually get to choose my contract location given the current climate is irrelevant, I get brownie points for the effort and she's happy im showing some commitment.

From my point of view, I'm in Munich mon - fri and get to see gf chef at weekends, I figure I need a distraction from the copius amounts of beer im drinking with a fellow englishman each night and that 2hrs per night twice a week improving my language is far better than the "im enrolling in a gym and going on a diet" that he suggested.

win win all round
          Ah well, you've down the first bit, got a German other even though its Kölsch she speaks (I have that at work being in Bonn) but it could be worse, it could be Sächisch or even Odenwälderisch. Even though she ain't there during the week you should go to pubs where there ain't no Brits. Thats what I did and I tell you, you pick up the lingo pretty quickly and make a new set of mates who'll show where the real action is rather than a bunch of cliquey Brits (I know what its like in Munich having had the misfortune to work there once!)
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

no your spot on in fact, brownie points can be traded in for great sex
            Someone will be along presently with the Oxo Tower joke

Seriously though - do you learn much by watching TV?
            I used to love a German show called Tutti Frutti. Basically the contestants had to remove an article of clothing every time they got a question wrong. And the hostesses would get their chests out at the drop of a hat. It was soooooo bad it was art, but I did find myself being able to understand (threepenny) bits of it. I don't know how I did it though ...
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Viel Gluck !!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Someone will be along presently with the Oxo Tower joke

Seriously though - do you learn much by watching TV?
                I used to love a German show called Tutti Frutti. Basically the contestants had to remove an article of clothing every time they got a question wrong. And the hostesses would get their chests out at the drop of a hat. It was soooooo bad it was art, but I did find myself being able to understand (threepenny) bits of it. I don't know how I did it though ...
                bl**dy hell you're showing your age ...
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Ah well, you've down the first bit, got a German other even though its Kölsch she speaks (I have that at work being in Bonn) but it could be worse, it could be Sächisch or even Odenwälderisch. Even though she ain't there during the week you should go to pubs where there ain't no Brits. Thats what I did and I tell you, you pick up the lingo pretty quickly and make a new set of mates who'll show where the real action is rather than a bunch of cliquey Brits (I know what its like in Munich having had the misfortune to work there once!)
                  Agree with the sentiment there. I avoid the Union Jack Undies brigade like the plague!
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

i've enrolled for German language evening classes

gf chef will be pleased

I feel i'm starting to integrate
                    vee haf vays....
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                      I try out my German on the locals from time to time, but it ends up like a weird comedy sketch because they invariably reply in English.

Me (possibly played by John Cleese): Guten morgen!
                      Shopkeeper (Michael Palin, I imagine): Good morning.
                      Me: Ein Rosinenschnecke bitte.
                      Shopkeeper: You vish to take zis out, or eat in zuh shop?
                      Me: Ausnehmen bitte.
                      Shopkeeper: Zat is vun euro fifty.
                      Me: Danke schon.
                      Shopkeeper: Sank you.
                      Me: Auf wiedersehen!
                      Shopkeeper: Yeah, alright mate, whatever.

Maybe I should try it in Germany one of these days, see how I get on.
                      That's what used to happen to me in Switzerland..

I speak French but v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. I wasn't able to practice that often either..
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X