• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've taken the plunge..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Someone will be along presently with the Oxo Tower joke

Seriously though - do you learn much by watching TV?
    I used to love a German show called Tutti Frutti. Basically the contestants had to remove an article of clothing every time they got a question wrong. And the hostesses would get their chests out at the drop of a hat. It was soooooo bad it was art, but I did find myself being able to understand (threepenny) bits of it. I don't know how I did it though ...
    Actually, that sounds like the kind of thing on Chanel 9 (cf, The Fast Show)

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Wie sagt man, "take the plunge" auf Deutsch??
      to take the plunge - den Sprung wagen
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Even though she ain't there during the week you should go to pubs where there ain't no Brits. Thats what I did and I tell you, you pick up the lingo pretty quickly and make a new set of mates who'll show where the real action is rather than a bunch of cliquey Brits (I know what its like in Munich having had the misfortune to work there once!)
        I totally agree. I found a small bar in Munich which the British expats warned me to stay out of, so needless to say, I tried it . I made some good friends there and it really got my German going again after several years not speaking it.

One curious thing about the expats I worked with was they they seemed to resent it when I spoke German in the local shops and restaurants. I never understood that.
        Last edited by Sysman; 21 July 2009, 22:20.

Comment

nehmen Sie sie herauf den Oxo Turm
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Yikes!!! They've added 5.000 words to the German language.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8163541.stm
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

A couple of links for those who wish to learn German

Leo, the best online German-English dictionary I have come across.
              German Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Someone will be along presently with the Oxo Tower joke

Seriously though - do you learn much by watching TV?
                I used to love a German show called Tutti Frutti. Basically the contestants had to remove an article of clothing every time they got a question wrong. And the hostesses would get their chests out at the drop of a hat. It was soooooo bad it was art, but I did find myself being able to understand (threepenny) bits of it. I don't know how I did it though ...
                Originally an Italian program. Was presented by Hugo Egon Balder who used to be the drummer in Brain Damage (German prog band from the 70's) and I believe that Hella von Sinnen was also there (a big fat obnoxious lesbian who had an affair with a German ministers daughter.) The two can be seen quite regularly on German TV (RTL) presenting such crap as "Hit Giants of the 70's" or "I'm A ******* Idiot Who Wants To Be On TV And Will Do Anything" or "Z-List Knobheads Trying To Be Funny".

Tutti Frutti
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/

is good, and the forum is useful too. Good luck!
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

I recently bought the online version of Rocket German (on permanent limited time special offer), which was pretty good for me, mainly because it focused more on the listening side. I tried speaking a bit of German when I was there at Easter, but as soon as anybody replied to me in German I was lost.

I sometimes turn on DWTV (794 on Sky), and although I only get about one word in three and can't think fast enough to keep up anyway, I can now distinguish the words most of the time, which is not something I could have done three months ago.
                    Last edited by VectraMan; 25 July 2009, 15:10.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X