• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I've taken the plunge.."

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    I recently bought the online version of Rocket German (on permanent limited time special offer), which was pretty good for me, mainly because it focused more on the listening side. I tried speaking a bit of German when I was there at Easter, but as soon as anybody replied to me in German I was lost.

I sometimes turn on DWTV (794 on Sky), and although I only get about one word in three and can't think fast enough to keep up anyway, I can now distinguish the words most of the time, which is not something I could have done three months ago.
    Last edited by VectraMan; 25 July 2009, 15:10.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/

is good, and the forum is useful too. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Someone will be along presently with the Oxo Tower joke

Seriously though - do you learn much by watching TV?
    I used to love a German show called Tutti Frutti. Basically the contestants had to remove an article of clothing every time they got a question wrong. And the hostesses would get their chests out at the drop of a hat. It was soooooo bad it was art, but I did find myself being able to understand (threepenny) bits of it. I don't know how I did it though ...
    Originally an Italian program. Was presented by Hugo Egon Balder who used to be the drummer in Brain Damage (German prog band from the 70's) and I believe that Hella von Sinnen was also there (a big fat obnoxious lesbian who had an affair with a German ministers daughter.) The two can be seen quite regularly on German TV (RTL) presenting such crap as "Hit Giants of the 70's" or "I'm A ******* Idiot Who Wants To Be On TV And Will Do Anything" or "Z-List Knobheads Trying To Be Funny".

Tutti Frutti

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    A couple of links for those who wish to learn German

Leo, the best online German-English dictionary I have come across.
    German Grammar

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Yikes!!! They've added 5.000 words to the German language.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8163541.stm

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    nehmen Sie sie herauf den Oxo Turm

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Even though she ain't there during the week you should go to pubs where there ain't no Brits. Thats what I did and I tell you, you pick up the lingo pretty quickly and make a new set of mates who'll show where the real action is rather than a bunch of cliquey Brits (I know what its like in Munich having had the misfortune to work there once!)
    I totally agree. I found a small bar in Munich which the British expats warned me to stay out of, so needless to say, I tried it . I made some good friends there and it really got my German going again after several years not speaking it.

One curious thing about the expats I worked with was they they seemed to resent it when I spoke German in the local shops and restaurants. I never understood that.
    Last edited by Sysman; 21 July 2009, 22:20.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Wie sagt man, "take the plunge" auf Deutsch??
    to take the plunge - den Sprung wagen

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied

I used to love a German show called Tutti Frutti. Basically the contestants had to remove an article of clothing every time they got a question wrong. And the hostesses would get their chests out at the drop of a hat. It was soooooo bad it was art, but I did find myself being able to understand (threepenny) bits of it. I don't know how I did it though ...
    Actually, that sounds like the kind of thing on Chanel 9 (cf, The Fast Show)

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I try out my German on the locals from time to time, but it ends up like a weird comedy sketch because they invariably reply in English.

Me (possibly played by John Cleese): Guten morgen!
    Shopkeeper (Michael Palin, I imagine): Good morning.
    Me: Ein Rosinenschnecke bitte.
    Shopkeeper: You vish to take zis out, or eat in zuh shop?
    Me: Ausnehmen bitte.
    Shopkeeper: Zat is vun euro fifty.
    Me: Danke schon.
    Shopkeeper: Sank you.
    Me: Auf wiedersehen!
    Shopkeeper: Yeah, alright mate, whatever.

Maybe I should try it in Germany one of these days, see how I get on.
    That's what used to happen to me in Switzerland..

I speak French but v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. I wasn't able to practice that often either..

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    i've enrolled for German language evening classes

gf chef will be pleased

I feel i'm starting to integrate
    vee haf vays....

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Ah well, you've down the first bit, got a German other even though its Kölsch she speaks (I have that at work being in Bonn) but it could be worse, it could be Sächisch or even Odenwälderisch. Even though she ain't there during the week you should go to pubs where there ain't no Brits. Thats what I did and I tell you, you pick up the lingo pretty quickly and make a new set of mates who'll show where the real action is rather than a bunch of cliquey Brits (I know what its like in Munich having had the misfortune to work there once!)
    Agree with the sentiment there. I avoid the Union Jack Undies brigade like the plague!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

bl**dy hell you're showing your age ...

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Viel Gluck !!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    no your spot on in fact, brownie points can be traded in for great sex

Leave a comment:

Working...
X