• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you like as your epitaph?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Maybe the synonyms for being dead from the Monty Python parrot sketch would work.
    Aren't they similies? IGMC

I always liked Spike's, but failing that, I also liked Captain Sensible's answer "Ee was a decent geezer who always done 'is best" as what he hoped people would say about him. Fat chance of that in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Aren't they similies? IGMC

I always liked Spike's, but failing that, I also liked Captain Sensible's answer "Ee was a decent geezer who always done 'is best" as what he hoped people would say about him. Fat chance of that in my case.
      Simile = "like" or "as", roughly speaking. E.g. as dead as a dodo.

Synonym = another word with the same meaning.

I would say that the predominant figure of speech used in the dead parrot sketch is euphemism by metaphor.

Comment

"You Live,
        You Learn,
        You Die,
        And Then Forget it All".

Comment

I would like:

(except for the tree planted on the site)
          to leave no mark at all in my passing.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Simile = "like" or "as", roughly speaking. E.g. as dead as a dodo.

Synonym = another word with the same meaning.

I would say that the predominant figure of speech used in the dead parrot sketch is euphemism by metaphor.
            Thanks you are of course correct.

Comment

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
              Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
              X