• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£65K is a pretty small salary ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont forget that MPs can also take second jobs. I dont recall the name, but a few weeks ago one MP on Question Time stated that he is a non-executive director of some company and gets £10K a year for attending company meetings about 5 days a year. I'm sure some MPs have more then one directorship etc. Then the more popular ones write a book and get royalties from that. and the really famous ones end up charging for after dinner speaking engagements.....Blair has made a ton from this.

I would think that some MPs are making more the 65K.

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
      Dont forget that MPs can also take second jobs. I dont recall the name, but a few weeks ago one MP on Question Time stated that he is a non-executive director of some company and gets £10K a year for attending company meetings about 5 days a year. I'm sure some MPs have more then one directorship etc.
      Isn't that part of the problem as well though? All of a sudden their companies are beiong awarded huge government contracts.

Comment

My pay has decreased steadily since 2001. Never mind a pay rise or pay freeze or real-term adjustment - it has just gone down.

Does this mean that I can subsidise my loss of earnings by dipping my hands in the till of the local co-op?

Alternatively, you could argue that I get another job if this no longer pays enough. Funnily enough, so can MPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Isn't that part of the problem as well though? All of a sudden their companies are beiong awarded huge government contracts.
          It's not supposed to be a problem. If your party is in government (and therefore able to make these decisions) you're supposed to resign your Directorships.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            ... for an MP (or any other professional who lives in London), I would say. Or are MPs not professional?
            Who gave the sasguru login to the one with the Aygo?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Who gave the sasguru login to the one with the Aygo?
              I get so confused about which one of them is posting. I'd like to have a discussion with the one with the camera but I'm not sure which one he is.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

£65K + very generous expenses 30 weeks work annually. Skills required none. 4 year minimum contract £40K severance bonus.

Pop that on Jobserve and see how many applicants you get.

They are in the 90th percentile on wages alone.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X