• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£65K is a pretty small salary ..."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    £65K + very generous expenses 30 weeks work annually. Skills required none. 4 year minimum contract £40K severance bonus.

Pop that on Jobserve and see how many applicants you get.

They are in the 90th percentile on wages alone.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Who gave the sasguru login to the one with the Aygo?
    I get so confused about which one of them is posting. I'd like to have a discussion with the one with the camera but I'm not sure which one he is.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ... for an MP (or any other professional who lives in London), I would say. Or are MPs not professional?
    Who gave the sasguru login to the one with the Aygo?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Isn't that part of the problem as well though? All of a sudden their companies are beiong awarded huge government contracts.
    It's not supposed to be a problem. If your party is in government (and therefore able to make these decisions) you're supposed to resign your Directorships.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    My pay has decreased steadily since 2001. Never mind a pay rise or pay freeze or real-term adjustment - it has just gone down.

Does this mean that I can subsidise my loss of earnings by dipping my hands in the till of the local co-op?

Alternatively, you could argue that I get another job if this no longer pays enough. Funnily enough, so can MPs.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by sal626 View Post
    Dont forget that MPs can also take second jobs. I dont recall the name, but a few weeks ago one MP on Question Time stated that he is a non-executive director of some company and gets £10K a year for attending company meetings about 5 days a year. I'm sure some MPs have more then one directorship etc.
    Isn't that part of the problem as well though? All of a sudden their companies are beiong awarded huge government contracts.

Leave a comment:

• sal626
    replied
    Dont forget that MPs can also take second jobs. I dont recall the name, but a few weeks ago one MP on Question Time stated that he is a non-executive director of some company and gets £10K a year for attending company meetings about 5 days a year. I'm sure some MPs have more then one directorship etc. Then the more popular ones write a book and get royalties from that. and the really famous ones end up charging for after dinner speaking engagements.....Blair has made a ton from this.

I would think that some MPs are making more the 65K.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    It's certainly reassuring to hear of real cases where the people in local govt who do earn serious dough are capable and providing value. It's good antidote to the "outrage" stories in the Mail etc.

(breathes more slowly and deeply)
    He may be the exception that proves the rule. He has saved his council more than his salary by just cutting waste in the system.
    He also sees many civil servants as a cost rather than value added.

He is one of the best managers I have ever met and his people skills are tremendous. He is a genuine gentleman to boot (even though he is a bloody foreignor).

I may be a bit biased as I am godfather to his son.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    after years in office, it's time that the NuLieBore experiment was brought to a close, in a quiet, peaceful manner.
    Gas chambers? Quieter than a firing squad.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    At least one person on that list is a very good friend of mine and I promise you he is very capable of running a business. In my opinion he deserves every penny he gets, I have seen some of the nob heads he gets to deal with on a daily basis.
    Yes.

The elected members can be a bit dim...

Our very own Lord Engine Driver of Port Talbot fame is particularly missed in that regard... not to mention corrupt, so I won't mention it... i.e. "do you have anything (in a brown envelope) for me" to a job applicant...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    You'd think so, but some of those people were wealthy in their own right and didn't need to fiddle their expenses.

Unlike the group of "professional politicians" we have now most of whom have no clue about real life.
    mov cx,ds:[WHS]
    inc cx
    mov ds:[WHS],cx

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    In days of yore, I'd have expected that the MPs who were most at the trough would've been the Tories; after years in office, it's time that the NuLieBore experiment was brought to a close, in a quiet, peaceful manner.
    Chelsea barracks woud make an ideal spot (as would others).

As for the Tories: Once again it WAS all Maggies fault. It was her that modified the changes to MPs allowances which she did to stave off a revolt over pay which the populace would have seen as greed at the time. What she did not forsee (again) was the rampant abuse of her changes by the members opposite.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    In days of yore, I'd have expected that the MPs who were most at the trough would've been the Tories
    You'd think so, but some of those people were wealthy in their own right and didn't need to fiddle their expenses.

Unlike the group of "professional politicians" we have now most of whom have no clue about real life.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    There was some pretty mass disgust on the part of the Army when MoD flogged for a pittance Chelsea Barracks (which m'lord Rogers isn't now able to build on).

Perhaps it should be retaken into public ownership and the en suite rooms in the Mess be turned into accomodation for MPs. Being an MP is surely about duty to ones constituents (note: not party - **** that) and part of ones duty is to be able to ensure that one represents reasonable value for money.

In days of yore, I'd have expected that the MPs who were most at the trough would've been the Tories; after years in office, it's time that the NuLieBore experiment was brought to a close, in a quiet, peaceful manner.

by rounding the f**kers up and shooting them!

Shirley?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    At least one person on that list is a very good friend of mine and I promise you he is very capable of running a business. In my opinion he deserves every penny he gets.
    It's certainly reassuring to hear of real cases where the people in local govt who do earn serious dough are capable and providing value. It's good antidote to the "outrage" stories in the Mail etc.

(breathes more slowly and deeply)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X