• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£65K is a pretty small salary ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes but all these groups get subsidised housing in London under the key workers scheme, whereas an MP would not.

£65K x3 would not buy a decent one-bed even after the fall in house prices.
    Why do they need to buy a house in London? Most of them spend very little time there.
    What about the nation putting up an MPs Halls of Residence, or just let them claim expenses the way we do it.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Poor sas hasn't got a clue.

Personally, the government have been BIG supporters of globalisation.

Fair enough, there's some pretty switched on people in India, lets move our government there and pay them Indian salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Yes but all these groups get subsidised housing in London under the key workers scheme, whereas an MP would not.

£65K x3 would not buy a decent one-bed even after the fall in house prices.
        You stop qualifying for keyworker schemes once your household income is above £60k.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          A quick google suggests it's about right when compared to other public sector jobs with similar experience levels...
          How does it compare with the private sector?

Apart from the self-employed such as IT contractors (), dentists, lawyers and most accountants, how many people earn a salary as much as £65k?

No one I know.

EDIT: ok I just remembered a couple of winkers I know who work in sales at a senior level. They earn more than £65k. And FDs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            Why do they need to buy a house in London? Most of them spend very little time there.
            What about the nation putting up an MPs Halls of Residence, or just let them claim expenses the way we do it.
            They should just block book the Marriott in County Hall.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Apart from the self-employed such as IT contractors (), dentists, lawyers and most accountants, how many people earn a salary as much as £65k?

No one I know.

EDIT: ok I just remembered a couple of winkers I know who work in sales at a senior level. They earn more than £65k. And FDs.
              In City terms £65K is very low. Thing is are MPs worth more?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes, just like all those fantastically well qualified and competent people working in local government who insist of being paid the same as if they ran a plc on the basis that they could go into the private sector and earn the same. Well I'd like to see them try.

Town Hall Rich List here (PDF)

And this kind of thing is rife
                At least one person on that list is a very good friend of mine and I promise you he is very capable of running a business. In my opinion he deserves every penny he gets, I have seen some of the nob heads he gets to deal with on a daily basis.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

My mum is an ops manager for a nationwide property company in charge of about 30 odd people. She earns £65k.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    **** right off!
                    It might push up the value of your house.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

They can rent, they can stay in a local travelodge, they can buy if they have income from other sources or are independantly wealthy....

The same as everyone else has to do!

If I took up a gig in London tomorrow, I'd have to do one of the above! I wouldn't ask nor expect clientco to pay mortgage on a second house, nor expenses to run it.

They need a short sharp dose of reality!
                      'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                      X