• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How intelligent are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The fact that so many Mensa members seem to be such non-achieving misfits, in general, should alert anyone to the inadequacies of said test.
    I agree that the IQ test has shortcomings, but this argument is a non sequitur.

Many people with high IQ scores don’t join Mensa, partly because it’s seen as a bunch of misfits and saddos. You can’t argue that the sad misfits in Mensa show the test is inadequate; you've discounted the many people with high IQ scores who are not sad misfits.

Anyway, there are probably lots of highly intelligent people who’ve never taken an IQ test.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

IQ Map of the World:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ryldv7.png

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
        Sure.

Comment

Occupation versus IQ:

http://i42.tinypic.com/6f9h86.jpg

Comment

Read an article in the times on Sunday on intelligence, and how they're coming back to say it's not as genetic as we think.

One example they gave was of black kids IQ scores, then using black kids who'd grew up in military bases - and the thing was black kids in military bases, removed from the cultural aspects of US ghetto life or culture etc tended to have the same scores as every other kid.

Bigger influences are your social environment (Middle class families tend to have smarter kids than working class, because they spend more time, care more and usually get better schooling).

Did try and dig it up, unfortunately the key word intelligence brings up a million articles on MI5 etc.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Sure.
              If you don't believe it, do the research.

It's a fact that sub-Saharan Africans score poorly in IQ tests - which almost certainly indicates that the tests include some inadvertent cultural bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence

The very low IQ scores reported for sub-Saharan African populations is especially controversial. For example, Wicherts argues that the average IQ of sub-Saharan Africans is poorly measured and is more likely 78. Sternberg, a critic of Rushton and Lynn, reported an average IQ of 70 for "young adolescents" in Kenya. There is a paradox from IQ studies in Africa that has yet to be resolved. Europeans with an IQ of 70 are considered mentally handicapped. However, the Africans found to have an IQ of 70 were perfectly normal with the apparent ability to function normally in their social environment. This has led to questions of the validity of these IQ tests
              Last edited by Platypus; 20 May 2009, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                Did try and dig it up, unfortunately the key word intelligence brings up a million articles on MI5 etc.
                Yes you do need some intelligence to dig up a Sunday Times article from 3 days ago
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  If you don't believe it, do the research.

It's a fact that sub-Saharan Africans score poorly in IQ tests - which almost certainly indicates that the tests include some inadvertent cultural bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence
                  I believe the difference in IQ scores, but I don't believe it shows a difference in intelligence. I score highly because my brain has been trained to think in a way that gives me an advantage in written tests of intelligence. Some guy in a village in the savannah hasn’t had that training. However, if he and I were to set out to hunt down an animal, stalk it for hours, shoot it with a simple bow and arrow, skin it, get it home while avoiding lions, poachers, gamekeepers and Lord Cholmondely and then put it on a spit and roast it, he’d win hands down. His intelligence fits his environment, as does mine.

Comment

Its not the size of your IQ, but what you do with it.

For the record, my IQ is ******* huge.
                    I can be anything I want to be on an anonymous forum. Its great.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
                      Its not the size of your IQ, but what you do with it.

For the record, my IQ is ******* huge.
                      I can be anything I want to be on an anonymous forum. Its great.
                      But can you hit a lady’s g-spot with your IQ?

Comment

Working...
                      X