• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

police service- ineffectual?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
    Not a slur on the run-of-the-mill bobby, I think they would like to be able to bang up most of these types of people, but as with all large public sector organizations, they're being dictated to by layer upon layer of managment who's job depends on looking good, not doing good.

that's the problem. They've conjured up a system where they always seem to look good so they've already got excuses set up why they don't deal with x,y,z

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      Yes, of course, being a powerful woman you would intervene. Wait until you get in the situation and you may feel differently. Many people like yourself are strong with rhetoric until it comes to the crunch.
      You know NOTHING about me.... so don't presume to.

And for the record, I have intervened, most recently when my sister and I saw a young Chinese couple being mugged... and yes, I was terrified but you know what, I wasn't going to stand there and watch.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I think that's a little harsh. I'd like to think I'd intervene if I witnissed a scenario such as this, but I don't think anyone really knows what they'd do unless they were in that position.
        Very true.... but would you have simply stood there and watched? Honestly, I don't think many of us could do that. Walk away maybe, but stand there.... no.
        Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          You know NOTHING about me.... so don't presume to.

And for the record, I have intervened, most recently when my sister and I saw a young Chinese couple being mugged... and yes, I was terrified but you know what, I wasn't going to stand there and watch.

That was very brave of you CM

now for the joke

You shouldn't realy have done that, they were almost certain to come back. You know what it's like, half an hour after a Chinese, you want another one

igmc
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            That was very brave of you CM

now for the joke

You shouldn't realy have done that, they were almost certain to come back. You know what it's like, half an hour after a Chinese, you want another one

igmc
            Bazza gets caught

Comment

ow that hurts.

If I were picking sides on CUK , I would have CM on my team

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Very true.... but would you have simply stood there and watched? Honestly, I don't think many of us could do that. Walk away maybe, but stand there.... no.
                No, I wouldn't of treated it as some sort of spectator sport, but wading in all guns blazing in the aid of a complete stranger (not that that really matters)?

Probably not...
                If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

No, I wouldn't of treated it as some sort of spectator sport, but wading in all guns blazing in the aid of a complete stranger (not that that really matters)?

Probably not...
                  Thats my point.
                  Bazza gets caught

Comment

Actually, I did intervene in a situation two years ago.

There was an argument in a bar between a girl and her British ex while I was on holiday in Phuket. All hell broke loose after the Thai girl threw a pool ball at her ex. He was hit on the forehead and bled heavily, and he was very drunk.

He then retaliated and started punching her and picked up a cue and smashed it over her head knocking her out. He continued to hit her and another guy pulled him off her and a punch-up ensued between the two guys. The ex was quite powerful and had the other guy on the ground and was punching him in the head repeatedly without reply and I could see that he was losing the fight and this could be extremely nasty for his wellbeing . Everybody else was doing nothing but watching just stunned at the extreme violence.

I just could not let this go on so I took a calculated risk and threw myself at the guy on the ground, kicking him hard and screaming at him 'STOP IT !!!'.
                    I knew that it was possible that he could have turned on me, but luckily he was so stunned that he got up, looked me in the eye, and fortunately staggered away without any further ado !!

So, I suppose this proves that I would intervene if I thought there was real danger to life. Those that call me a coward should perhaps wait until they are confronted with such a situation and then they will realise how brave they really are.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                      Actually, I did intervene in a situation two years ago.

There was an argument in a bar between a girl and her British ex while I was on holiday in Phuket. All hell broke loose after the Thai girl threw a pool ball at her ex. He was hit on the forehead and bled heavily, and he was very drunk.

He then retaliated and started punching her and picked up a cue and smashed it over her head knocking her out. He continued to hit her and another guy pulled him off her and a punch-up ensued between the two guys. The ex was quite powerful and had the other guy on the ground and was punching him in the head repeatedly without reply and I could see that he was losing the fight and this could be extremely nasty for his wellbeing . Everybody else was doing nothing but watching just stunned at the extreme violence.

I just could not let this go on so I took a calculated risk and threw myself at the guy on the ground, kicking him hard and screaming at him 'STOP IT !!!'.
                      I knew that it was possible that he could have turned on me, but luckily he was so stunned that he got up, looked me in the eye, and fortunately staggered away without any further ado !!

So, I suppose this proves that I would intervene if I thought there was real danger to life. Those that call me a coward should perhaps wait until they are confronted with such a situation and then they will realise how brave they really are.

er. big guy punches unconcious girl - cyber dicksplat does nothing

big guy punches other big guy - cyber dicksplat intervenes

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X