• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter F. Hamilton - Pandora's Star. Looking pretty good so far.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Done: off to Oxfam with it. Wilderness of Mirrors & all that.

Next: "Fire and Steam" by Christian Wolmar, being Another Book About Railways. Dunno how long I've had this one but it must be 15 years or more. My dad had the paperback version which met Oxfam years ago in the ongoing but vain attempt to thin the shelves a bit.
      Done: off to Oxfam with it. The obnoxious Mr James Savile gets a mention, along with The Great She Elephant, always keen to travel by any means other than rail, and the idiot who was in charge when the railways were "privatized" so successfully, one John Major.

Oh, and that chap Grayling, well known for his reverse midas touch.

Inneresting to learn that when nationalised BR had a mere 448 different classes of locomotive, and in an attempt to rectify this, introduced another 12 classes of their own design. All of them steam.

Contrast the cost per mile of steam: 1/- (one shilling (5p) for those of tender (see wot I did there? tender, steam engine, oh don't bother)) years with cost per mile of diesel: 3 3/4d (that's 3 old pence and three farthings, must be less than 2p).

Next: another attempt at "Trinity: the treachery and pursuit of the most dangerous spy in history" by Frank Close.

Dunno how far I'll get with this, but here goes nothing.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 July 2024, 15:06.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I just finished "Snuff"

the eighth one in that thread

next I am starting on "Soul Music" I think or whichever one is the first of those three

any other fans of the City Watch here ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          I just finished "Snuff"

the eighth one in that thread

next I am starting on "Soul Music" I think or whichever one is the first of those three

any other fans of the City Watch here ?

Milan.
          last year I re-read the whole discworld series. - great stuff!
          (i'd left it long enough to have forgotten enough to do so)
          I find it difficult to find good fantasy/SF now.
          it's all rehashes of LOTR etc.*
          even cyberpunk and steampunk have gone generic.

* game of fecking thrones, anyone?

Comment

Next: another attempt at "Trinity: the treachery and pursuit of the most dangerous spy in history" by Frank Close.

Dunno how far I'll get with this, but here goes nothing.
            Done: off to Oxfam with it on Monday. Much mention of the glory hunting Mary of FBI Director fame. And who knew that the judge in the Fuchs case creamed his jeans every time he got to sentence someone to death.

Next: TBD. There's so little choice available. :

"The Wilson Plot" by David Leigh. 1988. Spooky.

edit you mother****er.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 August 2024, 15:54.

Comment

Bob Mortimer - And Away. It's his autobiography.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Done: off to Oxfam with it on Monday. Much mention of the glory hunting Mary of FBI Director fame. And who knew that the judge in the Fuchs case creamed his jeans every time he got to sentence someone to death.

Next: TBD. There's so little choice available. :

"The Wilson Plot" by David Leigh. 1988. Spooky.
                Done: Off to Oxfam with it. He has a low opinion of Peter Wright, which is quite probably justified.

Next: "Without Enigma: the Ultra and Fellgiebel Riddles" by Kenneth Macksey.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 August 2024, 10:29.

Comment

Heads you lose - Jeffery "give us an" Archer - pretty standard fare rehashed dreams of being a world statesman and a billionaire businessman - easy holiday read.

Now on Simon Scarrow "the honour of Rome".
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

read Mort last week, it was good, but doesn't beat the City Watch series, we'll see what Soul Music brings

took a John Grisham with me but didn't have time for it and also A Farewell to Arms

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      read Mort last week, it was good, but doesn't beat the City Watch series, we'll see what Soul Music brings

took a John Grisham with me but didn't have time for it and also A Farewell to Arms

Milan.
                      Can't go wrong with Terry Pratchett & Grisham.

When I was doing the uni runs I got a few on tape. Great way to spen 3-4 hours driving.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X