• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CUK Book Club: Currently reading..."

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Done: next: "A legacy of Spies" since I don't feel like reading any of the others at the moment & this is the one that started me on rereading such of the Le Carre oeuvre that I'd read back in the day, being full of names I remember.

Maybe I'll remember more of the plot too since I read it starting 10th of May. .

Fingers crossed on that one. .
    Gosh. Having revisited "The spy who came in from the cold" etc. it made rather more sense than on the first reading.

Next: "Agent Running in the Field" J. Le Carre.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Russia. Antony Beevor. Just got to the bit where Lenin declares the Bolshies are taking over state power. Gripping stuff. And very depressing.

In other news. Adrian Tchaikovsky, Children of... trilogy. Great fun evolutionary hard scifi. Love the Portia spiders. Aw... just look at those eyes... What's not to love?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: (since I don't have "The little drummer girl" any more & don't want to read "The Russia House" or "The Perfect Spy"): "The Secret Pilgrim"
    Done: next: "A legacy of Spies" since I don't feel like reading any of the others at the moment & this is the one that started me on rereading such of the Le Carre oeuvre that I'd read back in the day, being full of names I remember.

Maybe I'll remember more of the plot too since I read it starting 10th of May. .

Fingers crossed on that one. .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 October 2024, 21:57.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Got a little book club on Wednesday. Tried 2 books already and gave up, so many damn characters in them I can't remember who's who. Tried making notes and it looked like a 5 generation family tree.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Westerns" by Philip French: it's about Western films: originally written in 1972 & updated 1977 & 2005.

"My mule don't like you laughin'". .
    Done: first half is rather dry, the second half more inneresting: off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Wild Blue" by Stephen E. Ambrose, he who I recall seeing as a talking head on "The World at War (1974): Reckoning: 1945 & after" or some such when he was a much younger man. Shame about the plagiarism.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 October 2024, 19:03.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Dalek I loved you" by Nick Griffiths. :.
    Done: off to Oxfam with it. The funniest part was when he discovers the reason for the tightness of his new cords & the lack of any pockets. .

Next: "Westerns" by Philip French: it's about Western films: originally written in 1972 & updated 1977 & 2005.

"My mule don't like you laughin'". .

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Smiley's People" by J. LeCarre.

A much easier read, thank feck. One can see why there was never a tv mini series of "The Honourable Skoolboy". .
    Done.

Next: (since I don't have "The little drummer girl" any more & don't want to read "The Russia House" or "The Perfect Spy"): "The Secret Pilgrim"

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Done: off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Bletchley Park People: Churchill's geese who never cackled" by Marion Hill: it's about people so a rather lighter read than "The Hut 6 Story" etc.

Next: "Dalek I loved you" by Nick Griffiths. :.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Done: off back to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Jack the Ripper: the Final Solution" by Stephen Knight: mostly bollox but quite inneresting bollox which makes a change. A butt of malmsey might have come in handy, like. .

Next: "Bletchley Park People: Churchill's geese who never cackled" by Marion Hill: it's about people so a rather lighter read than "The Hut 6 Story" etc.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "The Honourable Schoolboy" by J. LeCarre. This one's rather longer at 543 pages: must be the advent of word processing or something.
    Done. At last. It could have done with some editing it must be said.

Next: "Smiley's People" by J. LeCarre.

A much easier read, thank feck. One can see why there was never a tv mini series of "The Honourable Skoolboy". .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 October 2024, 12:03.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Rare for me to do much reading these days, but I'm currently reading "I Am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "How Bletchley Park won WWII" by Michael Kerrigan.

Next: "Jack the Ripper: the Final Solution" by Stephen Knight: mostly bollox but quite inneresting bollox which makes a change. A butt of malmsey might have come in handy, like. .

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "The lost worlds of 2001: the ultimate book of the ultimate trip "2001: a space odyssey"" by Arthur C. Clarke: bought last week, published 1972 by NEL in paperback which is now very delicate, on the verge of breaking the spine.

Next: "How Bletchley Park won WWII" by Michael Kerrigan.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    ^^^quite a lot of things apparently.

Next: "Britain's best kept secret: Ultra's base at Bletchley Park" by Ted Enever.

Next: "The lost worlds of 2001: the ultimate book of the ultimate trip "2001: a space odyssey"" by Arthur C. Clarke: bought last week, published 1972 by NEL in paperback which is now very delicate, on the verge of breaking the spine.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    ^^^quite a lot of things apparently.

Next: "Alan Turing: the Enigma Man" by Nigel Cawthorne. Brief & to the point unlike the other doorstop about him.

Next: "Britain's best kept secret: Ultra's base at Bletchley Park" by Ted Enever.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X