• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Next: "The Spying Game" by Michael Smith, being a 2003 post 9/11 expanded rehash of a 1996 book.

Ironically it starts with Afghanistan in early September 2001, a few days before 9/11.
    Finally ground my way to the end of this epic.

Next: The Birth of Modern Britain: A Journey Into Britain’s Archaeological Past: 1550 to the Present by Francis Pryor.

There's 17 pages of preface.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

On a bit of a Terry Pratchett re-kick at the moment. I buy them on Kindle every time one is on offer and have been slowing growing my collection that way... a friend has the entire set in the classic paperback designs which I really love.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.

I have a penchant for these disaster books, I’ve read Fatal Storm on the 1998 Sydney-Hobart race amongst others.

A combination of horror as the events unfold and pondering what I would do in those situations (not go in the first place I suppose…)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

"Charles: The story of a Friendship": Michael Joseph, 1943.

A tale of a chap & his cat.

Comment

Re-reading qntm's books. They make my head hurt.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ordered a copy. Thanks. (71p + £7 p&p!)
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Next: The Birth of Modern Britain: A Journey Into Britain’s Archaeological Past: 1550 to the Present by Francis Pryor.
                Fairly inneresting, now what to read next, that is the question.

Comment

Fairly inneresting, now what to read next, that is the question.
                  The answer being: "The Fever Trail: in search of the cure for Malaria" by Mark Honigsbaum.

Comment

The Gangbuster, by Peter Bleksley, 2002

Good bathtub reading. Half way through it so far

The Last Viking - The true story of King Harald Hardrada, by Don Hollway, 2021

A bit expensive to risk getting wet in the bath, but good so far. The author is obviously a big fan of the grim old tyrant (who was killed at the Battle of Stamford Bridge while trying to conquer England in 1066, which is generally considered the end of the Viking age)

Conversations on Quantum Gravity, Jay Armas (ed), 2021

Good to dip into, but again not to risk dipping into the bath! Heavy going in places, by the nature of the topics, but mostly quite readable.

edit: Did a quick web search, and it seems that, sadly, Vikings Series 6 is the last. But the good news is that it will continue, after a gap of around 100 years, with a spin-off series called "Vikings: Valhalla". This will feature among others (talk of the Devil) Harald Hardrada!
                    Last edited by OwlHoot; 9 November 2021, 10:58.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Charles: 1930 - 1943.

Next:

"God won't save America: Psychosis of a nation" George Walden 2006.

The whys & wherefores of the demented colonials across the pond.

And, just think, in 2006 he hadn't seen 4 years of the demented orange one.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 November 2021, 15:39.

Comment

Working...
                      X