• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am currently listening to Stephen King's "The Stand" on Audible after originally reading it way back in the early 80s. As good as I remember it being first time around.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      I am currently listening to Stephen King's "The Stand" on Audible after originally reading it way back in the early 80s. As good as I remember it being first time around.
      I enjoyed the TV miniseries - but felt the ending a bit weak. Is the book better?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        state pension gets better the longer you leave it, though.

private might, depending on the underlying investments.
        Get proper financial advice before you defer state pension. My good lady, who is a pensions expert, says it rarely makes sense to defer as the £8k you do not take each year is rarely gained back over the lifetime of the pensioner. Get someone to model it and see what the breakeven is - you may be surprised how old you need to be before you are better off

To get back on topic, I've been reading the Rivers of London books. Hoping Santa brings the next couple in the series for me
        Last edited by Whorty; 18 November 2019, 19:21.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

you can read? - do your lips move when you're doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            you can read? - do your lips move when you're doing it?
            I prefer books with pictures
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I enjoyed the TV miniseries - but felt the ending a bit weak. Is the book better?
              Well I'm biased as I always believe the books are better. It's fairly long, about 48 hours in all which is a hefty audible book but so far so good.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Just finished

Wally Funk's Race for Space: The Extraordinary Story of a Female Aviation Pioneer eBook: Sue Nelson: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

so now on to

Betraying Hitler: The Story of the Most Important Spy of the Second World War: Amazon.co.uk: Lucas Delattre: 9781843543879: Books

which I'm innerested to see was bought 12 years ago, unlike the Wally Funk book which was purchased last November 29th.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 January 2020, 10:24.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Burmese Days - George Orwell

Utterly brilliant and very funny. George was woke in 1934 - that's frickin woke that is...
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

The Devil Is a Gentleman - A Biography of Dennis Wheatley.

Not yet got to the bit where he gets into Satanism and the Occult....

...which is the bit I'm interested in
                    Last edited by Martin Bank Holiday; 17 January 2020, 10:50.

Comment

Largo petalo de mar - Isabel Allende. The English translation is out soon too if you fancy it.

It covers the Spanish civil war to Pinochet's dictatorship.
                      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                      X