• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

It's bleak and grim so far and I can't see it getting any less so.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

I'm re-reading Power of One/Tandia by Bryce Courtenay. I would say a total classic though I'm not sure how look it might avoid censure these days, it's quite heavy content - while still being a really easy to read gripping story.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"Huddling Place" by Clifford Simak from "Science Fiction Hall of Fame Vol. 1".

Written in 1944.

Chap can't fly to Mars to operate on his friend because of agoraphobia brought on by technology.

I suspect it's the reason the book remains on the bookshelf since most of the other Golden Age stories in it aren't up to much, though that Zeity chap might disagree about "Arena" by Frederic Brown. .
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Next: "Inside Apple" by Adam Lashinsky. Oh look: 3 references to The Woz.

Compared with a shed load for Jobs, the thief of $5000, the door stop book about whom met the Oxfam shop last year, the book about The Woz remains upstairs on a bookshelf.

Feck me, this is a hagiography for the great idol Jobs. How no one shot the mother****er is a miracle.
          Done. And off to Oxfam it goes on the next trip.

Next: "Star Trek(tm): I'm working on that" by William Shatner (and Chip Walter whoever he is).

Comment

Next: "Star Trek(tm): I'm working on that" by William Shatner (and Chip Walter whoever he is).
            Done. Not overly gripping. Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Startrek Movie Memories" by that guy that does the documentaries on Blaze.

Apparently he could remember the stuff about the movies rather better than the stuff about the tv series.

Comment

Next:"IBM and the holocaust" by Edwin Black. Purchase, according to the receipt, in 2002. Thankfully it was a non fading receipt with actual printed print rather than the more modern disappearing text type.

More light reading. .
              Thank feck that's over with. Grim.

Off to Oxfam with it to depress some other miserable fecker.

Next: "Uncle Tungsten" a memoir of wartime boyhood by Oliver Sachs.

It's a reread before it goes to Oxfam in due course.

Comment

Comedy
                Comedy
                Comedy
                Drama

by Bob Odenkirk

Comment

Next: "Startrek Movie Memories" by that guy that does the documentaries on Blaze.

Apparently he could remember the stuff about the movies rather better than the stuff about the tv series.
                  Done. Moderately amusing, more so than the "I'm working on that" book. Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Get A Life", written after the demise of The Wig Wearing War Criminal when his avatar decided to visit & investigate all those Trek conventions & such like. Bought 24th of August 2002, so it's been on the bookshelf for more than 20 years.

Comment

Next: "Get A Life", written after the demise of The Wig Wearing War Criminal when his avatar decided to visit & investigate all those Trek conventions & such like. Bought 24th of August 2002, so it's been on the bookshelf for more than 20 years.
                    Done: off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Apollo: The lost and forgotten missions" by David J. Shayler. No mysterious Islands move about in this book, and 4 8 15 16 23 42 doesn't figure.

The other thing that doesn't figure is how I paid £29 for it. Must have still been contracting at the time. .

Feck me, I could have saved that £29, it's reaching my limits on boredom & no mistake. I'll be glad to give this fecker to Oxfam.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 April 2023, 16:23.

Comment

Next: "Apollo: The lost and forgotten missions" by David J. Shayler.
                      I've experienced more enjoyable root canals. . Thank feck that's done with & off to Oxfam it'll go. He's written other books which are very probably full to the brim of alphabet soup TLAs much as that one is. I suspect I'll give them a miss.

Next: "The Google Story" by David A. Vise. Totally up to date having been written in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                      X