• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CUK Book Club: Currently reading..."

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    ^^^quite a lot of things apparently.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Next: "Alan Turing: the Enigma Man" by Nigel Cawthorne. Brief & to the point unlike the other doorstop about him.
    Done: off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "Britain's best kept secret: Ultra's base at Bletchley Park" by Ted Enever.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied

Next: "Why don't penguins feet freeze?" another NS Last Word book.
    Well? Does anything eat wasps?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Adrian Tchaikovsky - Children of Time trilogy. Not for arachnophobes.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "Trains and Buttered Toast" by John Betjeman. Appears to be a collection of radio talks. Looks like I started reading this yonks ago, then stopped, laying it down to mature nicely by accumulating a layer of dust.

Turns out it's a collection of wireless talks he gave between 1932 and the 1950s with 1975 thrown in for good measure. Mildly inneresting. Sad about him accidentally breaking his nanny's Xmas present.

Next: "Alan Turing: the Enigma Man" by Nigel Cawthorne. Brief & to the point unlike the other doorstop about him.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Yesterday, 17:58.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Done: Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "How to Fossilise your hamster". NS again. This one's about experiments. .
    Not as inneresting as the previous two since it goes over much the same ground but experimentally, off to Oxfam with it.

It wonders where Erasto Mpemba is: as of now he's dust:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasto_B._Mpemba

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Done: Off to Oxfam with it.

Next: "How to Fossilise your hamster". NS again. This one's about experiments. .

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    "Does anything eat Wasps? and 101 other questions": from the New Scientist Last Word feature.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    "Does anything eat Wasps? and 101 other questions": from the New Scientist Last Word feature.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Started On Chesil Beech on Tuesday and finished on Thursday. I hadn't realised it was so short.

Seeing as I've been given the entire Sherlock Holmes collection I suppose I'll start on that next.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Done: if TSWCIFTC was grim, TLGW was even grimmer.

Next (since I don't have "A small town in Germany"): "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" wherein George Smiley is forever Alec Guinness.
    Done.

Next: "The Honourable Schoolboy" by J. LeCarre. This one's rather longer at 543 pages: must be the advent of word processing or something.

The Beeb passed on making a series of this due to the complexity of the plotting and the expense of the locations.

It must be 35 years or more since I read it last.

Stone me, it's fairly hard going in parts: the Smiley bits are ok, some of the Hong Kong bits less so.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Yesterday, 11:47.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "The Looking Glass War" by J. Le Carre.
    Done: if TSWCIFTC was grim, TLGW was even grimmer.

Next (since I don't have "A small town in Germany"): "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" wherein George Smiley is forever Alec Guinness.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 September 2024, 14:34.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: IgNobel Prizes 2. Liked the one grading experienced pain during execution, though I noted that cruel & unusual methods such as breaking on a wheel weren't included. Just proves how soft we've all become. .

Next: "Trains and Buttered Toast" by John Betjeman. Appears to be a collection of radio talks. Looks like I started reading this yonks ago, then stopped, laying it down to mature nicely by accumulating a layer of dust.

Turns out it's a collection of wireless talks he gave between 1932 and the 1950s with 1975 thrown in for good measure. Mildly inneresting. Sad about him accidentally breaking his nanny's Xmas present.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Yesterday, 14:11.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Next: "The Tree Collector: the life and explorations of David Douglas" by Ann Lindsay and Syd House.
    Another unwelcome 5:55 awakening, thusly:

Done: off to Oxfam with it. Now there was a chap who achieved things, including falling into a bull pit on Hawaii, which didn't end well due to there being a bull in there already.

Next: IgNobel Prizes 2. Liked the one grading experienced pain during execution, though I noted that cruel & unusual methods such as breaking on a wheel weren't included. Just proves how soft we've all become. .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 September 2024, 10:36.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    For some reason I awoke at 05:55 on Thursday morning thinking of "A Candle in a Cosmic Wind".

Which has led me to:

https://sites.uni.edu/morgans/astro/course/TheStar.pdf

"The Star" by Arthur C. Clarke.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Next: "The spy who came in from the cold" by John Le Carre. Once I've found a copy.

Found one in Waterstones once I'd figured out they shelved it under C rather than L. .
    Done. Quite grim in its way. It didn't moulder for long having been purchased on the 18th of June.

Next: "The Looking Glass War" by J. Le Carre.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X