• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Voting Conservative

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Well the current lot haven't managed to throw millions on the dole...
    You're quite right. It's called incapacity benefit these days...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

For the lefties who think the dole queue has gone:

http://www.mosler.org/wwwboard/messages/1266.shtml

Quote:
      Yet that achievement seems to be more linguistic than economic: Unemployment has been redefined rather than reduced.

Anyone who follows the statistics will have noticed that as the unemployment rate has gone down, disability cases have risen.

That was confirmed in a recent paper by Christina Beatty and Stephen Fothergill of the Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research at Sheffield Hallam University. It says that Britain now has more than 2.5 million non-employed adults of working age who claim sickness-related benefits -- a total that ``questions contemporary perceptions of the UK labour market'' and points to ``extensive hidden unemployment.''

As the authors rightly say, the numbers claiming Britain's so- called incapacity benefit are ``truly astonishing.'' In 1981, there were 570,000 people receiving the benefit for more than six months. By 2003, that figure had risen to 2.13 million. In addition, there were 300,000 recipients of the Severe Disablement Allowance, and 200,000 short-term claimants of the incapacity benefit, the report shows.

2.7 Million Recipients

According to Beatty and Fothergill, almost 2.7 million non- employed people of working age were receiving sickness-related benefits in August last year. That's closer to 10 percent of the 28 million employed people in the U.K. -- a number that puts the stated 2.9 percent unemployment rate in a different light.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

http://www.mosler.org/wwwboard/messages/1266.shtml

Quote:
        Yet that achievement seems to be more linguistic than economic: Unemployment has been redefined rather than reduced.

Anyone who follows the statistics will have noticed that as the unemployment rate has gone down, disability cases have risen.

That was confirmed in a recent paper by Christina Beatty and Stephen Fothergill of the Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research at Sheffield Hallam University. It says that Britain now has more than 2.5 million non-employed adults of working age who claim sickness-related benefits -- a total that ``questions contemporary perceptions of the UK labour market'' and points to ``extensive hidden unemployment.''

As the authors rightly say, the numbers claiming Britain's so- called incapacity benefit are ``truly astonishing.'' In 1981, there were 570,000 people receiving the benefit for more than six months. By 2003, that figure had risen to 2.13 million. In addition, there were 300,000 recipients of the Severe Disablement Allowance, and 200,000 short-term claimants of the incapacity benefit, the report shows.

2.7 Million Recipients

According to Beatty and Fothergill, almost 2.7 million non- employed people of working age were receiving sickness-related benefits in August last year. That's closer to 10 percent of the 28 million employed people in the U.K. -- a number that puts the stated 2.9 percent unemployment rate in a different light.
        Sorry... excuse me... this is where I came in.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So the interest rate was 15% in 1997 was it?
          No, and I never said it was.

Another idiot with a strange memory.
          It's not my fault if you can't read or remember things properly. If you think that not being a rabid dogmatic Tory Boy moron makes me an idiot and a loony leftie, that's up to you.

Comment

If memory serves the last Conservative government did the same thing, for that matter Labour are merely perpetuating what the Conservatives initiated.

I'm not defending the current government, I happen to think they're clueless, but I don't believe that a Conservative government would do anything substantively different.

I trust any politician of any party about as far as I can reliably spit a rat.

Comment

It's not my fault if you can't read or remember things properly. If you think that not being a rabid dogmatic Tory Boy moron makes me an idiot and a loony leftie, that's up to you.
              Tory boy - I remember him. Classic...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

No, and I never said it was.

Downside of reading the daily mail...

Comment

2.7 Million Recipients
                  So why aren't the Conservatives making more of this ?? Because they have 2.7 million votes to worry about.

ps Just because I don't think the Tories will improve things, doesn't make me support NuLiebor.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    If memory serves the last Conservative government did the same thing, for that matter Labour are merely perpetuating what the Conservatives initiated.

I'm not defending the current government, I happen to think they're clueless, but I don't believe that a Conservative government would do anything substantively different.

I've never been a lover of the Tories and the last time Labour was in power I was too busy chasing drink and skirt to notice what they were doing.
                    However, while I don't believe that ANY politician has my best interests at heart, I don't remember the Tories wanting to squander billions of pounds creating a police state. Prepared to be corrected if I'm wrong on that one as I'm still chasing drink and skirt, it's just that I'm more successful at the former than the latter
                    Boom boom boom boom
                    A-haw haw haw haw
                    Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                    Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Agreed. I suppose all the Tory robots on here think that it they keep on chanting Tory good, Labour (and anyone else) bad, it'll somehow make it true and we'll become as bigoted as them.

Comment

Working...
                      X