• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Death of the pub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    The smoking ban is killing traditional boozers. Most pub regulars are smokers (in my experience) and they are staying away now, drinking elsewhere, where they can smoke.

Price will never stop people drinking alcohol. It's a drug, the cost of a drug is never an issue.
    4 pubs have closed in my small town since the smoking ban, where are all those people who wanted a smoke free pint? Those shouting the loudest didn't even want to frequent pubs that much is obvious
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 March 2008, 18:35.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I go to pubs more these days - it was the smoking that put me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Oi Hyper, Can you brew up some 100LL?
        Should be cheaper! How much is that stuff now? £1.50/l?
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

This death began long ago in our area and (for once) it is not all down to government decisions.

Our nearest pub closed 6 years back. Now our not quite so local is practically dead on its feet, the owner wants to convert it into a private dwelling. Wandered up there Thurs about 10 pm and it was closed and dark so went to a pub I rarely frequent in the next village and, while they were doing great in the restaurant, the bar was deserted.

The local social club is the same mostly. I really don't know what people do any more round here, watch TV and drink Tescos booze on their sofas it seems.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Close all the pubs clubs and Off licenses.

Ban the manufacture and importation of alcohol.

>Diver in Teetotal mode <
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
            X