• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Death of the pub

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Death of the pub"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Close all the pubs clubs and Off licenses.

Ban the manufacture and importation of alcohol.

>Diver in Teetotal mode <

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    This death began long ago in our area and (for once) it is not all down to government decisions.

Our nearest pub closed 6 years back. Now our not quite so local is practically dead on its feet, the owner wants to convert it into a private dwelling. Wandered up there Thurs about 10 pm and it was closed and dark so went to a pub I rarely frequent in the next village and, while they were doing great in the restaurant, the bar was deserted.

The local social club is the same mostly. I really don't know what people do any more round here, watch TV and drink Tescos booze on their sofas it seems.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Oi Hyper, Can you brew up some 100LL?
    Should be cheaper! How much is that stuff now? £1.50/l?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I go to pubs more these days - it was the smoking that put me off.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    The smoking ban is killing traditional boozers. Most pub regulars are smokers (in my experience) and they are staying away now, drinking elsewhere, where they can smoke.

Price will never stop people drinking alcohol. It's a drug, the cost of a drug is never an issue.
    4 pubs have closed in my small town since the smoking ban, where are all those people who wanted a smoke free pint? Those shouting the loudest didn't even want to frequent pubs that much is obvious
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 March 2008, 18:35.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    It is an excuse to raise more money to pay civil servants pensions.
    If they realy wanted to make a difference to teenage and binge drinking then they would have changed the law not the revenue.
    For instance. It is not illegal for under age drinkers to possess alcohol, it is only illegal to sell it to them, so.... change the law so they can be arrested for possession and enforce the law concerning sales. Remove the licence of shops which never check age or persistantly sell booze to kids.

A few measly pence wont stop me drinking, I am a contractor after all.

Remember, Its only binge drinking if you stop!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Taxation could be good way to raise money from particular thing to tackle negative issues arising from that thing, like drinks. The problem of course is that Govt wants to use strealth taxes used for all sort of things and they don't want to tackle negative issues because it will prevent them from raising tax later.
    ATW the tax issue is a waste of space as teenagers don't drink the 40p lager. It's people who have parties who will buy it. I mean once you are that drunk you shouldn't be able to taste it.

I've only found one teenager who liked drinking beer and even he wouldn't drink lager - he drank real ale.

Teenagers drink sweet alcoholic drinks like cider, barcardi breezers, spirits with mixers and sweet wine.

The Tory's have recognised this but due to the law where duty can only be raised on spirits, wine and beer then it's raised across the board.

Basically if you want teenagers to stop binge drinking then you show loads of people p**** off their heads and give them the message it ain't cool. I can't tell the teenagers I know I've been that p**** as they can't understand why people do it.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I think I might bring out the old wine and beer making kits and threaten to make some of my friends blind again.
    Oi Hyper, Can you brew up some 100LL?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    What about lobbying by Tesco:

Government introduce a smoking ban and raise taxes on booze: pubs suffer and go bust as punters go to supermarkets and offies.

Tesco lobbies government to ban cheap alcohol. Prices go up and the big four become the dominant retailers as the small shops and offies go bust.

Quite clever really.

I think I might bring out the old wine and beer making kits and threaten to make some of my friends blind again.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    So called 'reasons'

Alleged 'traffic congestion' = Congestion charge
    Alleged 'green directive' = Tax on petrol
    Alleged 'health reasons' = Tax on cigarettes
    Alleged 'binge drinking' = Tax on alcohol
    -------------------------------
    Alleged 'incompetence' = ?????

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Not what I mean. I mean taxation doesn't stop people from doing what they want where alcohol is concerned. I think it's the viking genes or something.
    Taxation could be good way to raise money from particular thing to tackle negative issues arising from that thing, like drinks. The problem of course is that Govt wants to use strealth taxes used for all sort of things and they don't want to tackle negative issues because it will prevent them from raising tax later.

Tesco is very convenient for me. I would not buy their beer (nor anything from their "value" range).
    Their whole stores are rather tacky - yet the prices are not cheap. Morrisons are much better, heck even ASDA is better than Tesco.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Do you think if we compare how many young people get drunk here and there we will find that UK is not a lot worse than them?
    Not what I mean. I mean taxation doesn't stop people from doing what they want where alcohol is concerned. I think it's the viking genes or something.

40p Tesco Value Beer has no right to exist in this world, heck whole of Tesco is aweful.
    Tesco is very convenient for me. I would not buy their beer (nor anything from their "value" range).

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Are you sure you're not on (or off prematurely) drugs today?
    No. Next...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I think it's been proven (in the UK & Scandinavia at least) that this doesn't work when drinking to excess is examined.
    Do you think if we compare how many young people get drunk here and there we will find that UK is not a lot worse than them? 40p Tesco Value Beer has no right to exist in this world, heck whole of Tesco is aweful.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I'd rather have them smoke - this way they only die themselves rather than get drunk and kill people.
    I can't even begin to list the myriad of thing wrong with this sentence.

Are you sure you're not on (or off prematurely) drugs today?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X