• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scots trying to get Berwick on Tweed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Torran View Post
    Why would we want to keep Glasgow by choice
    We need to keep our nukes somewhere!

Comment

Edinburgh etc

Originally Posted by Chantho
      I have a better idea, how about an independent Scotland with a new border to the north of the existing one. Under this plan, England would be given the various tulipe-holes we don't want e.g. Edinburgh, Dundee, the borders, Ayrshire while Scotland would keep Glasgow and any oil-related stuff. The new capital could be Perth or Stirling.

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
      Hmm...Glasgow...not a nice place IMO...Edinburgh is far nicer...
      Tongue-in-cheek perhaps? Some of the nicest parts of Scotland are mentioned here as 'tulipe'. Also, why the ScotNats are putting the argument to an English 'audience' rather than putting it to their own? Maybe, they know what the answer might be? Absolutely no legal framework, just a wind-up from the SNP to gain more votes (along with abolishing the tolls on the Forth bridge as of today-will go down well with the Scots)
      Last edited by Dow Jones; 11 February 2008, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
        Why would we want to keep Glasgow by choice
        Purely selfish reasons, I don't want to move house.
        If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Actually Berwick is not a piece of England. It has never been formally incorporated in the Kingdom of England; merely sacked and ruled by England.
          It seems to me that Berwick always fared better during its periods of Scottish rule than during its enforced periods of English rule. Perhaps nowadays we are civilised enough to allow the people of Berwick to decide. Then again, perhaps not.
          In any case, the argument is presumptuous from both our houses, since the Kingdom of Northumbria predates both the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland.
          Here we go again back into Scottish mythology, perpetuating Scotland being constantly invaded. Scotland won its independence way back in the middle ages since then it was either independent, or "ruling" England via the Stewarts, or opted for the Union because of the greedy Scottish gentry and just a reminder that at Culloden there were more Scots fighting in the "british" army than for Bonny Prince Charlie, on whose side Englishmen were fighting, and English people were also slaughtered after the rebellion.

So what you mean expat is the single period of English rule.

You can check this all out in the history department at Edinburgh university, ...and I do have Scottish family
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

If we are on the subject of giving back land to the original "owners".
            Will Scotland be giving the Orkneys back to Denmark? After all it was only acquired as a gamling debt and that is no better or worse reason than most of Scotland being gifted to England.
            With the Orkneys obviously goes the claim to the oil.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
              Purely selfish reasons, I don't want to move house.
              But isn't most of it a dump?
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                Will Scotland be giving the Orkneys back to Denmark? After all it was only acquired as a gamling debt and that is no better or worse reason than most of Scotland being gifted to England.
                I think you will find that the Shetlands give a far better claim to the oil, and they were a wedding present from norway. Back to the drawing board TLG.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  Exactly - Give Scotland back to the descendants of the Beaker People, who were the first to colonize it after the last ice age and originally came from North Africa via Spain, i.e. the Moroccans and Algerians

and while we're about it, kick the Attacottis ("Scots") descendents butts back to Ireland where they belong
                  Last edited by Marina; 11 February 2008, 11:34.

Comment

Would we hand England back to the Normans also?
                    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                      Would we hand England back to the Normans also?
                      The Normans should hand it back to the Anglo-Saxons!

Comment

Working...
                      X