• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The truthful answers are:
    1. There is no point having a big todger if you don't know what to do with it
    2. There is no point having a Porsche (or any flash car ) if you are a ****
    1. I do, and I have.
    2. Ain't jealousy a bitch?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The truthful answers are:
      1. There is no point having a big todger if you don't know what to do with it
      2. There is no point having a Porsche (or any flash car ) if you are a ****
      A big todger , the owner knowing how to use it and also having a Porsha but not being a flip ... ahh Ain't that the prince of today ?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        No kids of my own and she's got more money than me.

Sometimes the Judge "Gawd Bless 'im!" can be fair.

A "High Performance Driver"? Nope. Don't need to be. I know my limits.
        no kids - you are soooo lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          100 mph is dangerous on UK roads - first because of differential speeds, and secondly because crash barriers on motorways are not rated that high. Did it not occur to you that if crash barrier on motorway won't hold accident on the same side, then it would lead to horrific consequences because of, yet again, speed differential with oncoming cars on the other side of motorway?

100 mph is not dangerous on German motorways (where permitted) because:
          a) it is actually fairly slow speed there - if its dangerous then only because it might be too slow
          b) they designed motorways in mind for these speeds (crash barriers better)
          c) they are not tw@ts that speed up like this in irresponsible fashion.
          so is 99mph OK
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            so is 99mph OK
            That's really the question for "Fascination of maths thread" - on the basis of my "speed differential" theory safe speed should be +/- X% from average actual speed on the road, without getting too much info science here as it would be hopelessly too advanced for your parasitic nature, I would dare to claim that X% in this case should not exceed 10%. Therefore if average speed on motorway is 70 mph, then it would be unsafe to drive faster than 77 mph. Coincidentally cops usually use 10%+2 miles to decide if speeding is taking place, so my theory also fits nicely their algorithm.

Remain where you are - I am going to call the Special Branch to visit you after they finish with 2uk.

Comment

100 mph is dangerous on UK roads - first because of differential speeds, and secondly because crash barriers on motorways are not rated that high. Did it not occur to you that if crash barrier on motorway won't hold accident on the same side, then it would lead to horrific consequences because of, yet again, speed differential with oncoming cars on the other side of motorway?
              Crash barriers are designed to deflect traffic not stop it. If you drive into a crash barrier head on you would likely go through it, but as generally speaking you will be side-swiping them at high speed you get bounced back onto your side of the motorway.

There are quite a few lorries that have gone through crash barriers because they have hit them at the wrong angle and the crash barrier cannot stop something that heavy from going through it.

With this in mind speed going into a crash barrier is not so much an issue, it is the angle you hit it that is the problem.

Comment

That's really the question for "Fascination of maths thread" - on the basis of my "speed differential" theory safe speed should be +/- X% from average actual speed on the road, without getting too much info science here as it would be hopelessly too advanced for your parasitic nature, I would dare to claim that X% in this case should not exceed 10%. Therefore if average speed on motorway is 70 mph, then it would be unsafe to drive faster than 77 mph. Coincidentally cops usually use 10%+2 miles to decide if speeding is taking place, so my theory also fits nicely their algorithm.
                It’s also dangerous to drive at less than a certain speed relative to other road users. A lorry overtaking another for example causes other traffic to pile into the fast lane.

BTW speed is always relative, so the term ‘speed differential’ doesn’t add much in describing speed relative to other road users, rather than the ground.

Also kinetic energy (the ability to do work, or damage) goes as the square of the speed, as do stopping distances, so a geometric progression isn’t necessary in decribing them.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  It’s also dangerous to drive at less than a certain speed relative to other road users.
                  Yes, that's why I said many times "speed differential": if Lorries go at 60 mph and other traffic at 70 mph then it's more or less okay (until lorry tries to overtake for miles).

Ardesco: crash barrier is not designed to be 100% ideal, it would cost too much, but for most common cases it is "rated" for certain speed, just like tyres - if you exceed your tyre speed rate then don't be suprised if it bursts even though you drive normally, same with the crash barrier - the car that greatly exceeds rated limit of the barrier will be more likely to breach it, and energy increase is in geometrical progression, so between 70 mph and 100 mph there is a bigger than 50% difference.

Comment

Yes, that's why I said many times "speed differential": if Lorries go at 60 mph and other traffic at 70 mph then it's more or less okay (until lorry tries to overtake for miles).

Ardesco: crash barrier is not designed to be 100% ideal, it would cost too much, but for most common cases it is "rated" for certain speed, just like tyres - if you exceed your tyre speed rate then don't be suprised if it bursts even though you drive normally, same with the crash barrier - the car that greatly exceeds rated limit of the barrier will be more likely to breach it, and energy increase is in geometrical progression, so between 70 mph and 100 mph there is a bigger than 50% difference.
                    I don’t think using the term 'geometric progression' adds value here, if it is valid at all. If so please so supply the terms of this progression. Energy is proportional to the square of the speed, period, so 100^2/70^2 = 2.04. For example where one speed is sqrt(2) times the other. E.g. 7 & 10, 30 & 42, 35 and 50.

Motorways may be a bit of a red herring when it comes to talking about road safety anyway, since these are the safest roads in the UK, I gather.

Comment

Nothing stops you quicker than a motorway bridge!

Comment

Working...
                      X