• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    Are you guaranteed a fine if you did a 120 mph drive on the highway ? Man , I start to feel sympathy for all Porsche , etc drivers sitting there in the cokkpit and swearing at each speed sign - 30 - 40 - 30 -40 .... At least they can enjoy the acceleration ...
    It's called a motorway over here.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Look buddy, the cops heard it all: all excuses you can possibly think of, including made up stuff designed to make them laugh to let you off - if get caught speeding past 100 mph you are screwed. You should not be doing this anyway - if you are suicidal then go find a way to kill yourself without endangering lifes of other people.

Ich Will !

On average, about three quarters of the total length of the German autobahn network has no speed limit, about one quarter has a permanent limit, and the remaining parts have a temporary limit for a number of reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn

Comment

Ich Will !

On average, about three quarters of the total length of the German autobahn network has no speed limit, about one quarter has a permanent limit, and the remaining parts have a temporary limit for a number of reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn

You are not in Germany.

In this country if you drive certain speeds over the limit on Motorways and A roads you risk:
        1. Being pulled over by the police who go around in unmarked cars on a random but regular basis. (I find it amusing when the guy doing 100+ gets pulled over and I who decided to be sensible that day didn't.)
        2. You risk ending up in a ditch or worse particularly as there are people who drive on the motorway at 40mph because they don't like driving on an unlit motorway.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You are not in Germany.

In this country if you drive certain speeds over the limit on Motorways and A roads you risk:
          1. Being pulled over by the police who go around in unmarked cars on a random but regular basis. (I find it amusing when the guy doing 100+ gets pulled over and I who decided to be sensible that day didn't.)
          2. You risk ending up in a ditch or worse particularly as there are people who drive on the motorway at 40mph because they don't like driving on an unlit motorway.
          ohhh Germany

Comment

On average, about three quarters of the total length of the German autobahn network has no speed limit
            I think I said above that it's the speed differential that matters a lot for safety - it has to be fairly close to some value, otherwise some cars will perceive other cars as way too fast and won't have similar time for reaction as everyone else - especially the drives who drives fast.

I think maybe doing 80 mph on motorway in good weather conditions would be appropriate speed, however during more or less heavy rain speeds should drop to 60 or even 50.

Comment

Look buddy, the cops heard it all: all excuses you can possibly think of, including made up stuff designed to make them laugh to let you off - if get caught speeding past 100 mph you are screwed. You should not be doing this anyway - if you are suicidal then go find a way to kill yourself without endangering lifes of other people.
              So if speeding at over 100 is so dangerous why are so few people killed on autobahns in Germany?

Or have you fallen for the establishment propoganda? If speeding was so unsafe then why on earth are cars allowed to be sold that do such speeds?

Speed limits are primarily set for the benefit of the ruling classes.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                So if speeding at over 100 is so dangerous why are so few people killed on autobahns in Germany?
                Are you blind? Have you checked me twice talking about speed differential?

When cars in a jam drive at 10 mph, then in these conditions driving at 30 mph is dangerous because you drive much faster than average speed around there, it's simple really - if everyone was driving on UK motorway at 100 mph then it would have been much safer to drive at 100 mph rather than when most people there drive at 60-70mph, and some tw@t drives at 100 mph.

Also, I think you should check stopping distances - they increase in geometrical progression, so 100 mph will actually result in a much longer stopping distance than ratio of 100/70 would imply - this means that suddenly distances between cars won't be enough, which is yet again why it is really (almost) all about speed differential.

Got it now stupid?

Comment

lives

HTH
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Are you blind? Have you checked me twice talking about speed differential?

When cars in a jam drive at 10 mph, then in these conditions driving at 30 mph is dangerous because you drive much faster than average speed around there, it's simple really - if everyone was driving on UK motorway at 100 mph then it would have been much safer to drive at 100 mph rather than when most people there drive at 60-70mph, and some tw@t drives at 100 mph.

Also, I think you should check stopping distances - they increase in geometrical progression, so 100 mph will actually result in a much longer stopping distance than ratio of 100/70 would imply - this means that suddenly distances between cars won't be enough, which is yet again why it is really (almost) all about speed differential.

Got it now stupid?

You are now setting specific parameters and conditions whereas originally you awere saying that 100 mph is dangerous and wrong no matter what. You cant cope with "grey" can you AtW? your little world only works with "set" rules and boundaries. Typical mathematician.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      You are now setting specific parameters and conditions whereas originally you awere saying that 100 mph is dangerous
                      100 mph is dangerous on UK roads - first because of differential speeds, and secondly because crash barriers on motorways are not rated that high. Did it not occur to you that if crash barrier on motorway won't hold accident on the same side, then it would lead to horrific consequences because of, yet again, speed differential with oncoming cars on the other side of motorway?

100 mph is not dangerous on German motorways (where permitted) because:
                      a) it is actually fairly slow speed there - if its dangerous then only because it might be too slow
                      b) they designed motorways in mind for these speeds (crash barriers better)
                      c) they are not tw@ts that speed up like this in irresponsible fashion.

Comment

Working...
                      X