• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
    Hmm...

Am I missing something, since BASt (the German Federal Highway Research Institute) in their last report still showed the death (kill) rate being 25% higher, or 60% in the case of motorways, than the UK?
    Yes German motorways have a higher death rate per capita. But its an atw post, bound to be tulipe.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Just switch on the cruise control.
      We had a laugh when I brought this up on the SpeedChoice course I attended today. A question posed by the instructor was “if the prize were a Ferrari, could you drive it from one end of the city to the other without breaking the speed limit? Naturally I asked whether the Ferrari came with cruise control. No one seemed to appreciate the legitimacy of the question, but spirits were bouyed, with follow questions being along the lines of ‘is it a red one’, etc. Upon regaining control the instructor moved on to something else, having singularly failed to address my question and her original point about the Ferrari.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
        Hmm...

Am I missing something, since BASt (the German Federal Highway Research Institute) in their last report still showed the death (kill) rate being 25% higher, or 60% in the case of motorways, than the UK?
        Countries count the stats quite differently. There was some work at Loughborough Uni to try and normalise such stats and Denmark came out as most dangerous with the UK second. Germany was one of the safest.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Over 100 mph is a ban.

It is never safe to have huge variations of speed on different lanes - 120 mph vs 60 mph in lorries is a huge delta that is very deadly.
          Not necessarily. 2 years ago I was caught by a patrol car on the M1 south of Watford doing 106. The filth told me I would have to appear in court and would likely be banned. They asked why I was speeding and I told them I was late for a meeting. They then showed me a video of my car speeding, did a complete search of my 330 cic and asked why I had a pack of Tesco underpants in the glove compartment. I'm not sure if they felt sorry for me or if it was bureaucratic incompetence but I never did get a summons. I even called Hertfordshire police and asked if there were any outstanding warrants, gave them my car reg and they said no. Guess I was lucky.

Comment

Working...
          X