• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pcg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brillo are you saying that PCG don't insure contractors on offshore plans?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      That was Andy White, it wasn't half a million, it wasn't for web services, it was 8 years ago and it's a different organisation now. So what's your point?
      You expect Churchill to have a point?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        That was Andy White, it wasn't half a million, it wasn't for web services, it was 8 years ago and it's a different organisation now. So what's your point?
        The Professional Contractors Group (PCG) has paid nearly £750,000 in fees to companies owned by some of its most senior figures.

The PCG's accounts for 2001 reveal that the PCG paid web design company Webtastic £488,888 in consultancy fees.

The main shareholders and directors of Webtastic are Andy White, who is also the founder of PCG, and Kevin Miller and Susan Hughes, both of whom are members of the executive team at PCG. The executive team is the collective name used by the PCG to describe the suppliers who provide the day-to-day services to keep the group up and running.

Kevin Miller is the finance director of PCG, and Susan Hughes is press officer for the group.

PCG also paid £169,167 to Susan Hughes Associates for PR work and other activities. Andy White owns 25 per cent of the shares in Susan Hughes Associates, and Kevin Miller 15 per cent.

The PCG accounting documents for the tax year 2001 ending 30 April state the following: "As last year Webtastic Ltd, a company of which A.F. White is the majority shareholder and director, provided the bulk of services in respect of the day-to-day running of the company... The amount of the services charged in the profit and loss account for the year amounted to £488,888.

"With effect from 1 September 2000, the company appointed Susan Hughes Associates to provide management and publicity services. A.F. White and K.G. Miller are directors and minority shareholders of this company. The amount of services charged in the year amounted to £169,167."

Susie Hughes, who is the spokeswoman for PCG in addition to being the director of Susan Hughes Associates, confirmed the figures and told silicon.com: "All of the contracts were awarded by the PCG board of directors in a fair manner. It's a standard business practice for any small to medium-sized business. Our accounts are in order and available in the public domain for anyone who wants to read them."

Up to April 2001, the income from PCG subscribers was £1.1m. PCG's accountant is Hopper Williams and Bell, based in Southampton.

Gerry McLaughin of contractors' reunion site NamesFacesPlaces.com helped silicon.com with this story.
        Linky to Silicon.com

488 Thousand pounds - OK, not half a million, "Nearly Half a Million", I apologise.
        Last edited by Churchill; 23 January 2008, 09:02.

Comment

I am a plus member, mostly for insurance and a couple of the fringe benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Linky to Silicon.com

488 Thousand pounds - OK, not half a million, "Nearly Half a Million", I apologise.
            Ouch!

Is it the same S. Hughes who owns or edits S99?

Not stiring it up, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Ouch!

Yes, the very same.

And it is the same A. White who set up S99. Don't know whether he still owns it.

Comment

I believe so.

If you go back there was quite heated debate on here at the time. Dont know if the threads got deleted. It must hae been the old board - which is still floating around somewhere in cyberspace I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Linky to Silicon.com

Apology accepted, please be more careful in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    Ouch!

Yes it is.

As for Churchill, yes I agree there is as usual no point to his "comment", but it's worth saying that the people who set up the original PCG became suppliers to the nascent current PCG, whose board decided they could get better commercial terms and operate much more freely without them, so bought them out. It has absolutely nothing to do with PCG today, and even less with PCG going forward which is a professionally managed organisation with 16k members, currently rising at around 5% a month.

Dragging up ancient history to make some obscure point about dodgy commercial dealings 7 years ago, especially when it's the ones who took the money out who are no longer any part of the organisation, is utterly pointless IMHO.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well, as a contractor noob I'm a member.

It's a small price to pay for some quality guidance and representation should you ever need it (hopefully I never will).

All of my contractor friends are members (and most that I've worked with).

Has to say something.
                      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X