• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pcg

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pcg"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    I am a PCG member but doubt I will renew. I can't see the point of membership any more.
    • IR35 is still here.
    • Clients won't accept their group insurance.
    • IR35 is still here.
    • I've had duff advice from the advice line.
    • IR35 is still here.
    • You can't claim the cost of membership through your company; it has to come out of your pocket (how carp is that???).
    • IR35 is still here.
    • The Real Life Meetings are few and far between these days (I see more being arranged in TPD than by the PCG!).
    • IR35 is still here.
    • Much the same discounts are available to IAP members, BCS members, IEE members, etc.
    • IR35 is still here.
    • You can get off jury service by politely explaining you don't earn when not at work.
    • Oh, and IR35 is still here.

The PCG is just a whingeing shop that exists to take money off frightened contractors (like me) to stuf into the pockets of the PCG officers. (Cue comment from Tay.) At least agencies only take a cut off me when I'm earning. The PCG takes it all the time.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Has anyone been investigated by HMRC and sought the services of PCG/Insurance they provide? What was your experience?
    I got an aspect enquiry into a dividend I paid. I sent (via PCG accountants handling my claim) the info requested by HMRC, and the enquiry was closed. They (the accountants) didn't really have to do anything in this case, but had the enquiry expanded even slightly in scope then issues might have arisen for which I would really need top-quality help. I was really, really glad to have them there. I was sh*tting myself at what might happen if the scope of the enquiry expanded. (Potential issue, at the time, S660.)

It turned out the enquiry was because I'd paid a dividend in March, and that particular year there was some reason for HMRC to think that fudging the difference between March and April was highly significant. I was able to show minute declaring the dividend and bank statements proving the dividend was declared and paid in March, i.e. I was innocent of whatever it was they thought I was up to.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Not that it's any of your business but I did 6 days paid work for them in late 2003 at commercial rates, won against bids from three other suppliers. So what?
    Thought so.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You've answered my question beautifully.

Thanks.

Btw, are you currently or have you been previously in the pay in cash, goods or any other incentive of the PCG?
    Not that it's any of your business but I did 6 days paid work for them in late 2003 at commercial rates, won against bids from three other suppliers. So what?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied

What happened in my opinion was wrong.
    Judging by that link you posted earlier I would agree that it wasn't good. That's not to say the organisation hasn't evolved/improved.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Are permies allowed to join?
    I was put off joining years ago by the slight smell of something I believe to be iffy.

What happened in my opinion was wrong.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I was going to say "Beyond Churchill", but I prefer your answer!
    Are permies allowed to join?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You've answered my question beautifully.

Thanks.

Btw, are you currently or have you been previously in the pay in cash, goods or any other incentive of the PCG?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Tex View Post
    £120.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied
    What are the qualifications for membership?
    £120.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Totally agree - and several of us movers and shakers have said the same things internally. We may even have got a reaction from our new management.

There are complex reasons for the apparent inertia (some of which isn't inertia, merely bad communications) that have been recognised and are being acted on, and I agree the news management on the website is appalling (and that has been raised a few times too, up to and including last Saturday's meeting). So I know it's a cracked record, but bear with us a little longer...

And FWIW I think Agency Watch (and Agency Partner) is a waste of time. Far better to focus on Hector and his operational failings IMHO
    Professional?

Hah.

What are the qualifications for membership?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
    The thing is though it takes ages for the PCG to actually do anything. How long was AgencyWatch "coming soon" for example? If it's a question of resources bung a hundred quid on the membership rates and get more staff on board.

Take away the insurances and it looks a lot less attractive option. As an organisation it has a complex management structure that is as non-transparent as could be, the standard reply is "coming soon, watch this space" etc then silence. I could go on. There's still nothing on the front page about the recent IR35 losses and the 'go sign this petition' frankly is one step up from Facebook.

The potential for the PCG is huge and I really believe we as contractors need a unifying body. Current PCG may not be it though...
    Totally agree - and several of us movers and shakers have said the same things internally. We may even have got a reaction from our new management.

There are complex reasons for the apparent inertia (some of which isn't inertia, merely bad communications) that have been recognised and are being acted on, and I agree the news management on the website is appalling (and that has been raised a few times too, up to and including last Saturday's meeting). So I know it's a cracked record, but bear with us a little longer...

And FWIW I think Agency Watch (and Agency Partner) is a waste of time. Far better to focus on Hector and his operational failings IMHO

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    So stuff you, at least some of us are doing something other than shouting futilely in the corner.
    The thing is though it takes ages for the PCG to actually do anything. How long was AgencyWatch "coming soon" for example? If it's a question of resources bung a hundred quid on the membership rates and get more staff on board.

Take away the insurances and it looks a lot less attractive option. As an organisation it has a complex management structure that is as non-transparent as could be, the standard reply is "coming soon, watch this space" etc then silence. I could go on. There's still nothing on the front page about the recent IR35 losses and the 'go sign this petition' frankly is one step up from Facebook.

The potential for the PCG is huge and I really believe we as contractors need a unifying body. Current PCG may not be it though...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Thank you for your valuable contribution. Just two observations:

You can opt in to the agency regs without doing anything at all, so the presence of an opt out - which has a value to some freelances or it wouldn't be there - is completely immaterial if you think it's some kind of bad thing. Of course you still have to do the contract negotiation thing, but you would be doing that anyway, wouldn't you?

Secondly the PCG are the only group fighting the Family Business Tax - the "big" guys are all worrying about CGT changes and the FSB - with its 250,000 members, all of whom are probably in the firing line had they the wit to notice it - haven't even got it on their agenda yet.

So stuff you, at least some of us are doing something other than shouting futilely in the corner.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post

So what, there are plenty of other groups pushing for incoming shifting. Mind you, given the pcg's track record they will probably f8ck this one up too!

F8cking morons!
    Unfair.

Certain other small business organisations have been protesting about Income Shifting in the media as they realise it effects them as well not just IT Contractors or the freelancers PCG campaigns for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X