• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What justification is needed for a pickup truck?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    How strong a justification do you need to get a company pickup truch as a company vehicle? Anybody know?

?
    Yep, you can take contractors out to lunch without suffering the smell on the journey to and from the kebab house
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      No justification at all if you wear dungarees, a baseball cap, chew tobacco and your name is Jim-Baaab.
      I was at a conference in Colorado Springs a couple of years back (WAVV- World Alliance of VM and VSE) and was playing pool in the hotel bar with our office manageress (well built, used to be a belly dancer) and a couple of guys asked if they could play as well. I got talking to one of them, well over 6' tall with a good ol' boy accent. Turned out his name was Bubba, drove a pick-up truck and regaled me with stories about the guns he had in the cabin of said truck. By then I was pretty half cut and kept lapsing into redneck talk taking the mickey out of him but I don't think he realised (the other guy was called Fred and was quite high up in the referee association for soccer in the USA. Both were also mainframe systems programmers as well.)

A couple of years before that I was working in Kennesaw County in Georgia (just north of Atlanta) where you had to own a gun by law!
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Worked on a site in St Louis that had a sign on the front door saying "No hand guns on site". Probably a good thing too on go live day.

Comment

You do have to justify it if it the double cab sort because hector finally latched on that loads of people were buying these to replace their cars. I looked into one a few years back. The Nissan one (which was the most powerful over here - not a patch on the US ones though) could have been mine, with all the toys and seats made from the skin of real cows for £4k plus £400 per month for 2 years (plus vat - which you get back anyway). I think you would be hard pushed to justify one now given what you do for a living.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Worked on a site in St Louis that had a sign on the front door saying "No hand guns on site". Probably a good thing too on go live day.
            They had that were I worked in North Carolina also. When I worked in California I found an Irish bar in Orange county and that was just down the road from a massive gun store. I always meant to go in to see what sort of stuff you could buy over the counter.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Sadly they don't do pulse laser rifles in the 14W range.
              I think you meant 14Kw ZG. If not I can knock you up something with a light buld and a couple of magnifying glasses if you want
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                You do have to justify it if it the double cab sort because hector finally latched on that loads of people were buying these to replace their cars. I looked into one a few years back. The Nissan one (which was the most powerful over here - not a patch on the US ones though) could have been mine, with all the toys and seats made from the skin of real cows for £4k plus £400 per month for 2 years (plus vat - which you get back anyway). I think you would be hard pushed to justify one now given what you do for a living.
                Currently I livi in a motorhome during the week and do need to change gas bottles & manage the loo canister. Would they expect me to carry that sort of thing in a car? If that don't work, I'm thinking about a cara

Comment

Accountant advises that justification isn't necessary.

Why are the government trying to encourage "green travel" and then making it most cost effective to drive roun d in a pickup truck?

Oh...yes, it's a van.

Comment

I think ok to have, but...

They don't have to pass the same tests as cars on safety, and so most of them fold up like baked bean cans if you hit anything more solid than a jelly and leave you needing to be cut out leaving your legs below the knees somewhere in the twisted metal

I see it on the telly it must be true

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
                      No. completely differently. If it's taxed as a commercial vehicle (meets the ctiteria), then the BIK value is £3kpa, Also if the company pay for all fuel, the BIK on that is £500pa. Plus you get the VAT back

I think you have to justify a business need though
                      Call me naive, but isn't a prime business need to stay in business by minimizing overheads, of which tax is one?

Surely you, as a *business* remember, can justify any transport arrangement if it works out cheaper and is essential to get yourself, plus laptop and whatever, to a client site just the same as a supermarket delivering truckloads of goods.

Comment

Working...
                      X