• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUK etiquette

I thought it might be worth posting some suggestions on etiquette/ behaviour - based on the recent experience(s) I had in the Accounting professional sub forum.

Most of us on this forum have - or have had - experience dealing with clients.

Sometimes clients can come up with things which seem unusual/ unreasonable or even impossible and bizarre.

As a professional you may well think all manner of unsavoury responses - perhaps justifiably so; But your response should always be professional - not to mention appropriate and respectful.

The same should apply with responses here - especially on the PROFESSIONAL sub-forums.

An EXAMPLE: Client says to you they are looking to introduce Feng Shui into the working environment - starting with bringing 2 white doves into the office.

You might well raise one or both eyebrows at this ...

you might decide to update your CV sooner rather than later ...

you might locate the exits (emergency or otherwise) and keep them in your line of sight ...

- understandably so - but I would imagine most people would find a way to respond professionally.

If you and your client are at the pub - perhaps you could get away with a cheeky/ jokey response.

But other than that I would NOT expect responses like:

Streuth, why are you trying to do something so hooky or woo woo ...

You can have 100 white doves or even a leprechaun and unicorns if you like ...

Feng Shui? Really? Methinks something is definitely fishy here ....

At the risk of being trolled here further ....

I think you don't understand what Feng Shui is - I suggest you contact a professional ...

You clearly don't understand how to run a business or the tools that are available ....

I think my head is about to explode so I am ending this conversation so I can cool off ....

On the off chance that you are brave/ foolish enough to 'bite the hand that feeds you' by responding as above - don't be surprised if the client expresses that they feel insulted/ offended. (At the VERY least)! Would you then further compound the issue by suggesting the client is thin skinned?

Professional sub-forums = professional responses. 'Light relief', 'Social' and similar sub-forums: banter (not trolling) acceptable. Trolling by the way is posting things with the deliberate intention to insult/ offend others!

Please think about this a little; and always respond appropriately and respectfully to others - ESPECIALLY posts on a professional internet forum.

This is General - abandon all hope.

When posting think "this is Sparta" not "pass the milk Vicar"
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm Spartacus.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

In the words of Pete Townsend:
        Who the F**k are you??

Comment

make mine a pint of what he's drinking please Bar Man

what on earth is he talking about

Milan.

Comment

There are forum rules on the minimum standard of sockies, and you are painfully failing that standard, which is a bannable offense. No discernable personality on vaguely endearing/hateful characteristics, just a low intensity whiner. Score: one gricer out of ten.

Comment

Zero mention of bubble fronted dmus.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Thanks for telling us how to run the forum. We appreciate your input and will give it due consideration.

btw - have you been here before? What user name did you have then?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think you’re entitled, NAT thinks you’re a troll and Lord knows what WTFH thinks as he’s keeping his powder dry…
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Nobody knows what WTFH thinks, and frankly I'm scared to ask.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X