• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man of the people earns over £1million a year on top of the job he is supposed to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

He had 20% of the voting population vote for him in the last election, so he is far more than just a "grifter".
    He really didn't. If he hadn't stood, Reform would still have got a considerable proportion of the vote. So the votes weren't for him". They were largely against the Tories.

You might as well say that Boris Johnson is far more than a grifter with 43.6% of the popular vote back in 2019.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      - as we all know, "all property is theft" after all is said and done...
      I thought that was the Anarchist mantra.

(Although black flags are a little too conformist for my liking. As an Anarchist you should be able to wave any colour flag you like.)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
        He had 20% of the voting population vote for him in the last election, so he is far more than just a "grifter".
        You're exaggerating. Reform got 14.3% of the vote, not 20%. See:
        2024 general election: Performance of Reform and the Greens (parliament.uk)

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        He really didn't. If he hadn't stood, Reform would still have got a considerable proportion of the vote. So the votes weren't for him". They were largely against the Tories.
        I don't know about that. I'm no fan of Farage, but I have to acknowledge that he's got a cult of personality going on. Basically, when he moved from UKIP to Reform, he took most of their voters with him.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

You're exaggerating. Reform got 14.3% of the vote, not 20%. See:
          2024 general election: Performance of Reform and the Greens (parliament.uk)

I don't know about that. I'm no fan of Farage, but I have to acknowledge that he's got a cult of personality going on. Basically, when he moved from UKIP to Reform, he took most of their voters with him.

So more than the lib dems, a party that has been in government and nearly 2/3 of the Conservative vote.

More than greens, dup, plaid Cymru & Sinn Fein put together. Pretty good on their first outing in elections.

Not exaggerated - maybe next time they will need to go back to their constituencies and prepare for Government? They just need to show they can be better than the others, hardly a high bar with the idiots in Lab & Cons.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-by-party-uk/

Basically they are now the third party after a few weeks campaigning, the electorate are already turning on "two Lie".

UKIP had been infiltrated by BNP style racists, reform mainly has filtered them out and anyway MPs & Councillors are shouting Allah Akbar now.

Our Nige for PM its not like Liz & Bozzo were good at it.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

So more than the lib dems, a party that has been in government and nearly 2/3 of the Conservative vote.

More than greens, dup, plaid Cymru & Sinn Fein put together. Pretty good on their first outing in elections.

Not exaggerated - maybe next time they will need to go back to their constituencies and prepare for Government? They just need to show they can be better than the others, hardly a high bar with the idiots in Lab & Cons.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-by-party-uk/

Basically they are now the third party after a few weeks campaigning, the electorate are already turning on "two Lie".

UKIP had been infiltrated by BNP style racists, reform mainly has filtered them out and anyway MPs & Councillors are shouting Allah Akbar now.

Our Nige for PM its not like Liz & Bozzo were good at it.
            I disagree that they are the third party .Like the LDs under Clegg they benefitted from a bravura performance at a time when people were looking for a change. Like the LDs they have no viable policies, only a load of populist ideas that are already out there in one form or another. If (when?) Starmer cocks up, I rather doubt the people will suddenly flock to Reform to bail them out.

And for all his manifest personal faults, Boris did actually deliver a few things that really mattered. Churchill and Thatcher weren't exactly conventional PMs either, but they got things done. Perhaps a degree of maverick is necessary to be a statesman.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I thought that was the Anarchist mantra.

(Although black and Red flags are a little too conformist for my liking. As an Anarchist you should be able to wave any colour flag you like.)
              You've got to be careful with that, lest you tread on the toes of other organisations.
              Last edited by Zigenare; 21 August 2024, 03:49.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I disagree that they are the third party .Like the LDs under Clegg they benefitted from a bravura performance at a time when people were looking for a change. Like the LDs they have no viable policies, only a load of populist ideas that are already out there in one form or another. If (when?) Starmer cocks up, I rather doubt the people will suddenly flock to Reform to bail them out.

And for all his manifest personal faults, Boris did actually deliver a few things that really mattered. Churchill and Thatcher weren't exactly conventional PMs either, but they got things done. Perhaps a degree of maverick is necessary to be a statesman.
                If you look at the Statista link the LDs have been bouncing along the bottom at less than 12% for years. They were considered the third party, if Reform repeat that success then the LDs are toast.

Policies aren't too bad, they are talking about controlling immigration which is a key topic for most.

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/ref...pdf?1718625371
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you look at the Statista link the LDs have been bouncing along the bottom at less than 12% for years. They were considered the third party, if Reform repeat that success then the LDs are toast.

Policies aren't too bad, they are talking about controlling immigration which is a key topic for most.

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/ref...pdf?1718625371
                  Talking is fine. Having a plan to do it is something else - as Labour are demonstrating right now.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

With the exception of Lee Anderson who is a proper MP (despite the fact that he’s horrible), none of the other Reform MPs will get a second time, as being a constituent MP is hard work and often thankless outside of that constituency. I doubt that they’ll be arsed with it and will be happy with the title ‘former MP’ and the redundancy payment.

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Nope, not under FPT. What matters is how many seats you get, not the percentage of the popular votes. There are more constituencies where LD can get the most votes than there are constituencies where Reform can get the most votes.

Furthermore, at the next GE, hopefully the Tories will have sorted themselves out; if so, those who voted Reform in protest against the shower of tulip, will vote for the Tories instead,

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X