• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The worst economy since 1945 oh sorry I mean the Tories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst economy since 1945 oh sorry I mean the Tories

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8xl8le91qyo

The latest data on the UK economy revealed it grew solidly between April and June, as it did in the previous three months. The figures clearly show a turning point in the spring as the UK continued its recovery from the brief recession at the end of 2023.

The 0.7% growth in the first quarter and the 0.6% that followed are not a boom. But it is a welcome return to more normal growth, after three years of crisis. And at the same time, inflation figures have returned to more normal levels.

In 2024 so far, the UK has grown the fastest of all the G7 advanced economies, even more than the US.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I seem to remember Mal arguing that it was ever since it became clear that Labour were going to be in power that things changed..

Here it is:

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The tipping point was not the manifesto nor the date of the election, but when it became likely that Labour were going to win the next election.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If an Austin A40 is driving at 20mph and increases speed by 5mph to 25mph that's and increase in speed of 25%
      If a Tesla is is driving at 80mph and and increases speed by 10mph to 90 mph that's and increase in speed of 12.5%

Using the Tory press calculation, the Austin A40 is doing better.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I seem to remember Mal arguing that it was ever since it became clear that Labour were going to be in power that things changed..

Here it is:

It was, but without context I fail to see your point.

But I stand by my conviction that Labour got elected by telling clear lies, that Reeves is claiming a justification for tax rises that does not exist (other than her spending a lot of money to her Union masters) and that it's all going to go horribly wrong in the next year or so.

I don't care about the party politics involved, I do care that my carefully planned pensions and ultimately my plans for the famliy are probably going to be royally f***ed up for no reason at all.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

It was, but without context I fail to see your point.

But I stand by my conviction that Labour got elected by telling clear lies, that Reeves is claiming a justification for tax rises that does not exist (other than her spending a lot of money to her Union masters) and that it's all going to go horribly wrong in the next year or so.

I don't care about the party politics involved, I do care that my carefully planned pensions and ultimately my plans for the famliy are probably going to be royally f***ed up for no reason at all.
          You say you don't care about party politics, yet keep talking about how Reeves has implemented massive tax increases on everyone in the last month.

If you want to know why your financial plans are royally f'ed, ask the lettuce lady.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

If an Austin A40 is driving at 20mph and increases speed by 5mph to 25mph that's and increase in speed of 25%
            If a Tesla is is driving at 80mph and and increases speed by 10mph to 90 mph that's and increase in speed of 12.5%

Using the Tory press calculation, the Austin A40 is doing better.
            your analogy falls down when you consider the size of the economy our A40 is already 97 mph.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You say you don't care about party politics, yet keep talking about how Reeves has implemented massive tax increases on everyone in the last month.

If you want to know why your financial plans are royally f'ed, ask the lettuce lady.
              Bollocks. That damage has been repaired, the economy is doing quite well by all realistic measures, and was doing so before the election. Reeves is well on her way to doing the same damage as Truss, but rather more slowly. Shame you can't see that. After all, it's you who will be paying for her excesses.

More to the point, the Tories had no plans to tax pensions or increase IHT (quite the reverse in fact) and CGT.
              Last edited by malvolio; 16 August 2024, 14:35.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It always bemuses me when people start banging on about how bad the Tories were especially given their landslide victories over the years when compared to this whimper of a victory. Starmer actually won with less votes than Corbyn had in his two losing campaigns just showing the apathy - they won by default, most of the country didn't want them.

However, I digress. People are quick to forget quite how feckless Labour are with the economy and this new ruse of "if we cannot afford it, we cannot do it" is fooling no-one. The budget will be a car crash for all bar the work shy and then the penny will drop. Anyone who has lived through past Labour governments will know what's in the post.

Generally speaking I couldn't give a toss about the politics but the amount of sugar coating of Labour going on is utterly vomit worthy.
                Last edited by fatJock; 17 August 2024, 08:35.

Comment

Working...
                X