• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Squeaky bum time for public sector contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    We're already being lied to in a far more serious way than Boris and pals managed. It doesn't look good for the future.
    You are deranged.

Comment

So far (I'm about a week behind actual announcements), none of the spending announced was in the Manifesto.

Also RR is on record (pre-election) as saying she would not touch pension triple lock or winter fuel allowence.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

You are deranged.
        No I'm not. You may be or at best, you may become sadly disappointed. Their published agenda is like their manifesto, mostly populist fantasies. Reality is starting to intrude...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Ms Reeves is eminently qualified for the role (then again, so was Gordon Brown...) but her agenda is the problem. It seems we need to suffer a range of tax increases to pay for public sector pay rises that weren't in the manifesto (nor in the Tories' plans and hence not in the Treasury/OBR reporting on which she based her planning), hence the instant black hole.

In effect she's giving away £1bn per day in office so far. Still, I suppose that a lot easier than trying to negotiate something more reasonable with her paymasters. Or perhaps even explaining Labour's fully costed plans

We're already being lied to in a far more serious way than Boris and pals managed. It doesn't look good for the future.
          I think ensignia is on to something, in the sense of you being deranged.

It is acknowledged by developed countries that Gordon Brown and his economic advisors devised the QE plan that saved western countries from the brink of true disaster. It's why your pension didn't take a haircut; why your bank account remained at the same figure you expected it to; why western democracy didn't collapse. Yes, certain banks were clearly at fault, but to not even mention that Gordon Brown was chief architect of the only viable proposal to save western developed economies during the financial crisis and to spew rubbish about the current administration after only a month is suggestive of someone unintelligent who relies upon the joke Daily Telegraph for their 'information'.

Bet you voted Tory again too. Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

It is acknowledged by developed countries that Gordon Brown and his economic advisors devised the QE plan that saved western countries from the brink of true disaster. It's why your pension didn't take a haircut; why your bank account remained at the same figure you expected it to; why western democracy didn't collapse. Yes, certain banks were clearly at fault, but to not even mention that Gordon Brown was chief architect of the only viable proposal to save western developed economies during the financial crisis and to spew rubbish about the current administration after only a month is suggestive of someone unintelligent who relies upon the joke Daily Telegraph for their 'information'.

And you're not mentioning his previous actions which made it far worse than it should have been, not to mention destroying defined benefit pensions for all but the public sector. The man was a dithering idiot who was better at putting his foot in his mouth (Gillian Duffy) than dealing with Foot and Mouth.

‘History suggests “boom and bust” won’t go away’ | History and Policy
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I'm not a Tory supporter, but Gordon Brown hugely relaxed oversight on the financial sector during his tenure (as did most US administrations from the late 70s onwards), so financial institutions were able to invest hugely in very questionable assets such as subprime mortgages. He even admitted as much in 2011. So while he may have been instrumental in coming up with a plan to fix the problem, the scale and impact of the problem in the UK was hugely exacerbated by his previous actions (or inactions) as Chancellor.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

I'm not a Tory supporter, but Gordon Brown hugely relaxed oversight on the financial sector during his tenure (as did most US administrations from the late 70s onwards), so financial institutions were able to invest hugely in very questionable assets such as subprime mortgages. He even admitted as much in 2011. So while he may have been instrumental in coming up with a plan to fix the problem, the scale and impact of the problem in the UK was hugely exacerbated by his previous actions (or inactions) as Chancellor.
                Exactly my point.

But since we suffer from a cadre of Labour supporters who refuse to contemplate anything that can't be ascribed to the Tories, there's little point arguing with them.

Meanwhile I stand by my opinion on this Labour administration (difficult word "opinion", some people need to look it up).
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

You and Malvolio forget that there were only two parties competing for power in those elections. The tories consistently called for more deregulation and freedom for the banks. If they had been in power, it would have been oh so much worse. The notion that Gordon Brown made mistakes is true, but compared to the alternative who could have been in power it is obvious that he was the best option. Parliamentary debates of the era confirm that the tories kept calling for amendments to further bank deregulation.

Comment

You and Malvolio forget that there were only two parties competing for power in those elections. The tories consistently called for more deregulation and freedom for the banks. If they had been in power, it would have been oh so much worse. The notion that Gordon Brown made mistakes is true, but compared to the alternative who could have been in power it is obvious that he was the best option. Parliamentary debates of the era confirm that the tories kept calling for amendments to further bank deregulation.
                    They were in opposition. Their job as now was to challenge the government's plans, secure in the knowledge they didn't actually have to enact anything. They were not responsible.

Does that remind you of anything over the last 15years?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X