• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Squeaky bum time for public sector contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahhh, - the clenched buttocks of the self employed.

Last edited by sadkingbilly; 1 August 2024, 12:13.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
      ahhh, - the clenched buttocks of the self employed.
      I like your style!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
        Our new chancellor is really going to screw things up.

Private sector is already in a recession. Cutting public sector AND raising taxes is going to send the economy into a steep dive.

Seems like an educated lady with a strong set of leftie principles. Very commendable, yet not someone who should be let anywhere near to running an economy.

Personally, I am putting aside everything I can, because I know I am going to need it to get through the next few years.
        If only she had someone with your expertise in the theory and implementation of macroeconomics, rather than all those useless "experts" currently paid to advise ministers. Have you considered volunteering your services?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

If only she had someone with your expertise in the theory and implementation of macroeconomics, rather than all those useless "experts" currently paid to advise ministers. Have you considered volunteering your services?
          Ms Reeves is eminently qualified for the role (then again, so was Gordon Brown...) but her agenda is the problem. It seems we need to suffer a range of tax increases to pay for public sector pay rises that weren't in the manifesto (nor in the Tories' plans and hence not in the Treasury/OBR reporting on which she based her planning), hence the instant black hole.

In effect she's giving away £1bn per day in office so far. Still, I suppose that a lot easier than trying to negotiate something more reasonable with her paymasters. Or perhaps even explaining Labour's fully costed plans

We're already being lied to in a far more serious way than Boris and pals managed. It doesn't look good for the future.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
            Listening to the Chancellor. She's asking all non-essential consultancy spending to cease across the public sector. She needs to find £3bn.

Gulp.

How do we feel about this? Any predictions? Yes, I'm scared.
            Yes. The agent who works in the public sector and was working on a role he was going to put me through for told me today that all consultancies that do not have long-running "essential" projects have been kicked out end of July. There's a review of the need for the remaining contractors. Projects are halted and contractors are being told that they may "expect an email soon". This will become an expensive restart exercise next year as they realise that they shelved projects that were actually going to save more money that they cost to deliver, but managers above a certain level take pride in being "non-technical" so how would they know?
            You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Ms Reeves is eminently qualified for the role (then again, so was Gordon Brown...) but her agenda is the problem. It seems we need to suffer a range of tax increases to pay for public sector pay rises that weren't in the manifesto (nor in the Tories' plans and hence not in the Treasury/OBR reporting on which she based her planning), hence the instant black hole.

In effect she's giving away £1bn per day in office so far. Still, I suppose that a lot easier than trying to negotiate something more reasonable with her paymasters. Or perhaps even explaining Labour's fully costed plans

We're already being lied to in a far more serious way than Boris and pals managed. It doesn't look good for the future.
              So, she’s doing a far better job that Truss/Kwartang.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That was an aberration and bugger all to do with Labour's apparent policy. Or perhaps we should include Heath's mismanagement and deceptions to justify Starmer's lying?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Let's watch and see how the markets react. So far she's had a negative effect on the contract market in the public sector.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post

Let's watch and see how the markets react. So far she's had a negative effect on the contract market in the public sector.
                    With the results of the Strategic Defence Review still to be heard...
                    Or how to piss off the Italians, Japanese and possibly other European partners with but the stroke of one pen...(Or in Rachel Reeves' case a fat red crayon!)
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Kerrching, can I feel my pension swelling?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X