• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't screw with the taxman

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Or are they freeing up resources for other investigations?
    Or they can't be arsed providing enough evidence to pass CPS scrutiny.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I'm surprised you're so desperate to get them locked up. Isn't seizing their ill-gotten gains sufficient for you?

Anyway, I had a look around as I too was puzzled. You might think it's laziness, but it turns out it is standard practice to pursue tax evaders and tax fraudsters through the civil courts. And it is because the standards of proof are lower. But don't worry about it, there's enough criminal charges for the time being.

Sure, the evasion/fraud case would normally be brought by HMRC but there's no technical reason why it can't be brought by the police The idea is to regain the money for the public purse. I guess HMRC are too busy pursuing contractors over a few thousand to worry about people who may have defrauded the exchequer of a few million.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Turns out he’s a very alpha male who is triggered by Elmo…
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Speaking of incels, from the world of "If you don't like our country and don't want to abide by our laws, you shouldn't be here", Farage in trainers: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-country.html
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
          X