• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job offer but not sure what to ask for

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job offer but not sure what to ask for

I have been offered a perm role as the CTO of a company.

They are offering salary and equity and have asked me to come back to them with 3 numbers wrt salary. How much I need, how much I would like and what my dream offer would be. They have also said that I am not the only guy they are talking to so not to go mad ;-)

Anyone got any ideas what salary CTOs go for in the financial sector these days? The last time I was CTO I was on £150k but that was a couple of years ago, when I look around I either find insane variations or garbled statistics.
    Last edited by MyUserName; 19 June 2024, 11:43.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I have been offered a perm role as the CTO of a company.

They are offering salary and equity and have asked me to come back to them with 3 numbers wrt salary. How much I need, how much I would like and what my dream offer would be. They have also said that I am not the only guy they are talking to so don't go mad ;-)

Anyone got any ideas what salary CTOs go for in the financial sector these days? The last time I was CTO I was on £150k but that was a couple of years ago, when I look around I either find insane variations or garbled statistics.
    You aim to be a CTO, and have been one in the past, and can't answer your own question? OK...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

You aim to be a CTO, and have been one in the past, and can't answer your own question? OK...
      Pretty much! I have no idea what CTOs are going for these days, not sure why gathering other perspectives would be a bad thing? Previously the offer came from the company and I accepted it, this time it is working the other way around.

Comment

Pretty much! I have no idea what CTOs are going for these days, not sure why gathering other perspectives would be a bad thing? Previously the offer came from the company and I accepted it, this time it is working the other way around.
        Why not just tell them that, and ask them to make you an offer.

It sounds like they want to go with the cheapest of the suitable candidates. Reverse auction.
        Last edited by Fraidycat; 19 June 2024, 11:54.

Comment

How much do you need, how much would you like and what your dream offer be? That should answer the question

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            How much do you need, how much would you like and what your dream offer be? That should answer the question
            Agreed but I was hoping to benchmark it against current market rates (if anyone knows any!)

Comment

Ask for cake. Can't go wrong with cake.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Worth having a look on Glassdoor?

Comment

Cant really bench mark roles like that. Too many factors IMO. Even looking at companies the same size is gonna be hard as you can't see what they earn. Even in a like for like comparison rates are going to vary wildly due to the bargaining power of the people in the role due to them not putting a figure out there and asking each CTO what they want.

Tough one that.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OK, so why not take your last package and apply the intervening wage inflation rate ( that might need a bit of Googlefu) and use that as the bottom line. The other two would then be percentage increments above that one.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X