• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For a fairer Greener Country

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Apparently Green steel is made using electric furnaces rather than coal-fired. Never mind that the carbon from the coal influences the structure of the steel and makes it stronger... I suppose they could chuck a few bags of BBQ briquettes into the furnace to get the same effect?
    Steel is made using the bessemer? blast furnace (coke and compressed air fired) from basic ore.
    electric arc furnaces are nowhere near as hot, and can only recycle steel scrap.
    UK can NOT actually make steel any more, thanks to Rishi's other Indian chums.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Should transwomen be able to compete in women's sports?
      This is easy, you have a biological woman at birth category and open category for everyone else. Regardless of your gender *now*, if you've previously been a man, you will, for most sports, have a stronger/faster base on which you've been building since birth until transition (except for some of the more niche sports like ultra long distance running).

Should transwomen be allowed to enter women's spaces (toilets, changing rooms, prisons)?
      Either do the above, or make such spaces unisex - ie individual cubicles like they have for family changing rooms/toilets.

Prisons is a much tougher one I'll give you. I would posit that most trans folks would want not want to be locked up in gen pop anyway, and presumably there's a segregated wing for self harmers etc? In any case, I'd imagine that would be a vanishingly small number of cases anyway?

It seems mental to me that a tiny fraction of a percentage of the population are dictating public policy for the rest of us, and I don't think the above would be too difficult/expensive to implement.

And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        Prisons is a much tougher one I'll give you. I would posit that most trans folks would want not want to be locked up in gen pop anyway, and presumably there's a segregated wing for self harmers etc? In any case, I'd imagine that would be a vanishingly small number of cases anyway?

Unfortunately it seems that certain people will claim to be female to get access to vulnerable women. There's been a few high profile cases. My guess is that these people are driving by the desire to sexually abuse rather than any feelings that they're really women. And that's what the trans activists fail to realise. Transwomen aren't a threat, rather people who claim that status and are lying abusers.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Unfortunately it seems that certain people will claim to be female to get access to vulnerable women. There's been a few high profile cases. My guess is that these people are driving by the desire to sexually abuse rather than any feelings that they're really women. And that's what the trans activists fail to realise. Transwomen aren't a threat, rather people who claim that status and are lying abusers.
          Precisely, one does wonder if the trans activists are that stupid but "queers for Palestine" sort of proves its possible.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Edited to say - don't railways use steel? How do we make '"Green" steel?
            Import it from India and China - they'll make it any colour you want.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Import it from India and China - they'll make it any colour you want.
              with coal!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

with coal!
                Indeed. However I'm sure our "net zero" efforts will more than compensate for the crap China and India are pumping into the atmosphere - all we need to do is pay more...
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Well as long as the Chinese keep their heavy air pollution which stops them from breathing to themselves and India (like the middle east) keep their 50c temperatures to themselves why should we care?

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Well as long as the Chinese keep their heavy air pollution which stops them from breathing to themselves and India (like the middle east) keep their 50c temperatures to themselves why should we care?

I think the clue is in the name "Global Warming"...

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

I think the clue is in the name "Global Warming"...
                      Maybe you should go see a doctor and see if you're suffering irony deficiency.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X