• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Make Britain Great Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reform in power. BoE stops paying interest.

Could be entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

were you born a complete bell end, or did you have to train for it??
      just out of interest, like.
      Now, I'm going to put a marker in the sand here.

These next 5 weeks are going to be lively affairs and so we will all be adding our tuppence-worth to the conversation.

While we have views on the different sides, the Mods will be trying to keep everything from turning into a flame war.

Personal insults at posters, as the one above, will not be allowed (so I'm giving sadkingbilly a pass for this post).

HTH.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post
        Reform in power. BoE stops paying interest.

Could be entertaining.

The UK pays something like a total of £120 billion on debt interest. The £35 billion saving would just be the interest on QE part that seems to be paid as a subsidy to the Banksters.

You would need to install the correct people at the BOE, that was Lizz Truss's mistake, the Banksters at the BOE let the markets destabilise to make her policies look bad so they could get their man Sunak in.
        Last edited by Fraidycat; 4 June 2024, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          From the Reform website
          Immigration Savings £5B
          Energy Savings - tax subsidies & scrap Net Zero £30B
          Benefit Saving - 1 million plus back to work £15B
          Transport & Utilities Savings £5B
          Slash wasteful Government spending
          incl govt depts. quangos, commissions £50B
          Stop bank interest on QE reserves £35B
          Cut foreign aid by 50% £6B
          If you think any of this is realistic and / or wouldn't collapse the economy or lead to civil unrest, you shouldn't have voting rights in the first place. This is unicorn land, just like the whole "brexit benefits" and we all know how well that worked out (oh yes I do realise it wasn't a "TRUE" brexit...).

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

were you born a complete bell end, or did you have to train for it??
            just out of interest, like.
            TBF, the target punter for Reform is your common-or-garden bellend. There simply isn't a professional right-wing (or, for that matter, left-wing) outfit in UK politics. This isn't really a coincidence. The UK general public is pretty centrist on the whole, probably a little more left wing on economics and taxation and little more right wing on immigration and crime/punishment, so a professional right-wing outfit is unlikely to emerge. Afterall, part of being professional means accepting reality and outlining the actual compromises between taxation and public spending etc. I say that as someone who leans right, just not clowncar right. Reform may have some conceptually appealing policy anecdotes, in the very loosest sense, but they are not based in reality and, were they to ever attain a position of real influence, these policies would decompose under their weight of unreality like a Liz Truss lettuce.

Comment

And to repeat...

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Now, I'm going to put a marker in the sand here.

These next 5 weeks are going to be lively affairs and so we will all be adding our tuppence-worth to the conversation.

While we have views on the different sides, the Mods will be trying to keep everything from turning into a flame war.

Personal insults at posters, as the one above, will not be allowed (so I'm giving sadkingbilly a pass for this post).

HTH.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Most of the Reform punters around here have probably happened upon hard times and are feeling a bit sorry for themselves. They offer the comfort blanket of a protest vote. On the other hand, anyone who understands this and is voting Reform simply to give the Tories an extra sour taste when they get their inevitable kicking in the GE, that's fair enough. The Tories do deserve a proper kicking, the more sour the better.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  And to repeat...

Fair enough, duly noted. General used to be funner, though

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

If you think any of this is realistic and / or wouldn't collapse the economy or lead to civil unrest, you shouldn't have voting rights in the first place. This is unicorn land, just like the whole "brexit benefits" and we all know how well that worked out (oh yes I do realise it wasn't a "TRUE" brexit...).

I think the UK has 500K civil servants, you could probably replace 400K of those with AI/Chat GPT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

I think the UK has 500K civil servants, you could probably replace 400K of those with AI/Chat GPT.
                      People can't get through to HMRC as it is. So how do you think more technology will help?

Btw I'm sure I haven't been drinking but feel like I have when I read your posts.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X