• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No whites!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I think a few whites should turn up and state they identify as of African origin. See how they get on.
    There are actually groups of people in the US who self-identify as African-American due to how they have been treated historically because of their mix heritage so you well within your rights to self-identify as the way you want.

Though I strongly doubt anyone on here will want to see the play, as the writer is a self publicist who seems up his own behind.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm not understanding why theatregoers are worried about "white gaze". Surely everyone should be watching the performance rather than the audience?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

There are actually groups of people in the US who self-identify as African-American due to how they have been treated historically because of their mix heritage so you well within your rights to self-identify as the way you want.

Though I strongly doubt anyone on here will want to see the play, as the writer is a self publicist who seems up his own behind.
        I've looked a what the play is about. Forget about being racist to whites - it's blatantly racist towards mixed race couples, portraying them all as fetishists. The author is even concerned about diluting blackness - now there's an inverse apartheid concept!

Anyway, what's a gay guy who's not in an interracial relationship writing about mixed-race heterosexual couples? That's cultural misappropriation that is!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

I've looked a what the play is about. Forget about being racist to whites - it's blatantly racist towards mixed race couples, portraying them all as fetishists. The author is even concerned about diluting blackness - now there's an inverse apartheid concept!

Anyway, what's a gay guy who's not in an interracial relationship writing about mixed-race heterosexual couples? That's cultural misappropriation that is!
          Obviously not a fan of "Melting Pot" by Blue Mink...
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

What's funny is if you take a quick glance at crime stats like the ones below and consider increasing black on black crime rate surely having a black only event is having exactly the opposite effect to creating a safe space. It's creating an environment that is statistically the most unsafe place to be in the entire country

Click image for larger version

Name:	skynews-line-18-gang_4370471.jpg?20180724185604.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	4285578
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What's funny is if you take a quick glance at crime stats like the ones below and consider increasing black on black crime rate surely having a black only event is having exactly the opposite effect to creating a safe space. It's creating an environment that is statistically the most unsafe place to be in the entire country
              No no no. "Safe" is not about safety in any shape or form, it is about not having your ignorant prejudices challenged by an alternative and possibly much better informed viewpoint, so allowing you to meander along in your cosy little bubble untroubled by harsh reality. It's how u universities and the arts work these days.

It's one of those re-interpreted words, like "celebrity", which to most of us these days translates to "Who?". Or "mental health issue" which means "leave me alone, I can't be arsed"."
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	skynews-line-18-gang_4370471.jpg?20180724185604.jpg Views:	0 Size:	433.0 KB ID:	4285578
                Are you being serious? A large proportion of black on black crime is drug trade/gang related. That kind of thing doesn't tend to happen in a London West End theatre. Are you saying attending a play in a theatre is statistically more dangerous because the audience will be black?

I went to an immersive theatre show last year that recreated the famous Ali-Frazier boxing fight from the 70s. The audience was maybe 50-60% white, rest mostly black and a few Asian like myself. They were publicising a similar 'safe' performance for black people only. It was the first time I had come across something like this.

I don't personally agree with the method or the positioning of such a performance but I understand what the organisers are trying to do to encourage more black people to attend the theatre even if it's misguided.

Due to the music I like (metal/hard rock), I can remember going to concerts in the 80s where out of c. 12,000 people, I didn't see a single other non-white person. I never felt 'unsafe' but I was a bit self-conscious about it.

Ironically, there are now quite a number of successful black fronted punk/metal bands emerging in the UK at the moment but I've heard members talk about how growing up liking that kind of music, they felt an outsider, often exacerbated by black friends and family questioning why they liked that kind of music.
                Last edited by edison; 29 February 2024, 12:10.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Are you being serious? A large proportion of black on black crime is drug trade/gang related. Are you saying a play in a theatre is statistically more dangerous because the audience will be black?
                  It's called irony. Hint: it doesn't mean "like iron".
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

It's called irony. Hint: it doesn't mean "like iron".
                    LOL, maybe that went way over my head then!

I did edit and expand my post before you replied making a point about why the organisers are probably well meaning but misguided.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Are you being serious? A large proportion of black on black crime is drug trade/gang related. That kind of thing doesn't tend to happen in a London West End theatre. Are you saying attending a play in a theatre is statistically more dangerous because the audience will be black?

I went to an immersive theatre show last year that recreated the famous Ali-Frazier boxing fight from the 70s. The audience was maybe 50-60% white, rest mostly black and a few Asian like myself. They were publicising a similar 'safe' performance for black people only. It was the first time I had come across something like this.

I don't personally agree with the method or the positioning of such a performance but I understand what the organisers are trying to do to encourage more black people to attend the theatre even if it's misguided.

Due to the music I like (metal/hard rock), I can remember going to concerts in the 80s where out of c. 12,000 people, I didn't see a single other non-white person. I never felt 'unsafe' but I was a bit self-conscious about it.

Ironically, there are now quite a number of successful black fronted punk/metal bands emerging in the UK at the moment but I've heard members talk about how growing up liking that kind of music, they felt an outsider, often exacerbated by black friends and family questioning why they liked that kind of music.
                      Hey I went to see Status Quo in the 80s, we were the only non Hells Angels! Definitely felt unsafe.

Friend of mine (horribly white lineage probably goes back before 1066) married an African Lady and their children are mixed race, for her birthday party they used to live in a tiny flat so they booked a night club in Croydon. His Parents, my wife & I plus my mate were the only whites, many of those in the club were quite unfriendly I can see how that might feel like oppression.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X