• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seems HMRC can make a U-turn..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems HMRC can make a U-turn..

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/362347/government-major-u-turn-pick-truck-tax-changes

New rules that would have seen company car benefit-in-kind tax charges applied to double-cab pick-ups have been scrapped by HMRC a week after them being announced.

The shambolic U-turn follows HMRC’s decision to update guidance on double-cab pick-up trucks following a Court of Appeal judgement in 2020. Just last week, the Treasury announced that from 1 July this year double-cab pick-ups would no longer be taxed as goods vehicles, but would instead be classed as cars for the purposes of calculating capital allowances and benefit-in-kind (BiK) liabilities for drivers. The measure was supposed to close a perceived ‘loophole’, as the current good vehicle classification allows employees and company directors to benefit from private mileage in company-owned pick-up trucks while avoiding thousands of pounds of company car benefit-in-kind’ tax.

Now I’m not cynical but the biggest group of people using these vehicles is farmers and look where Rishi is today - speaking at the national farmers union conference https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...lny-rees-mogg/
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Rishi does best when he doesn't speak to anyone.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Rishi does best when he doesn't speak to anyone.
        "You say it best, when you say nothing at all"

Karaoke gold

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Now I’m not cynical but the biggest group of people using these vehicles is farmers and look where Rishi is today - speaking at the national farmers union conference https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...lny-rees-mogg/
          There must be a lot of farmers living in central Edinburgh then.

Comment

Originally posted by codedbypaul View Post

There must be a lot of farmers living in central Edinburgh then.
            Yes, that's right. You cannot be a member of the NFU if you don't have a permanent residence in Edinburgh.

This is how all national and international conferences work, they are only open to people who live in the host city.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I think construction bods use more than farmers!
              looking out of my window I can see 11 in the car park & only 6 are muddy from being on site!
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

"You say it best, when you say nothing at all"

Karaoke gold
                do like a bit of Ronan!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

looking out of my window I can see 11 in the car park & only 6 are muddy from being on site!
                  plenty round here doing driveways & on site.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Definitely construction. The demographic that got the tories brexit... of course they're going to look ouot for them

Comment

Working...
                    X